19

Courtney

Trying to be as quiet as possible, I sneak into the house and gently close the door. The apartment is so quiet, it feels empty. I let out a sigh of relief.

"Where on earth have you been all day?"

Surprised, I look over and see my mom at the entrance of the hallway.

I flash a smile on my face. "What do you mean? I actually went to the history museum earlier today."

"That was hours ago," she says, narrowing her eyes at me as if she's trying to read my mind. "You spent the whole time at the museum?"

I shake my head slowly, staying silent for a moment.

"Let's go," she says, leading the way down the hallway. I have no choice but to follow her. We enter the sitting room where my father is waiting, looking sharp in his black suit and holding a cigar between his fingers. His smile seems forced as our eyes meet, and he remains silent.

He's never been on my side. I don't know why I keep hoping he might be. It's a hopeless situation.

"How did you make it home, young lady?" My mother asks, her face turning to me with a stern expression. She's a gorgeous woman, with dark brown hair like mine that's starting to gray at the temples. Her green eyes always show concern when they look at me. I sometimes wonder if she's constantly worried about me. It feels like that's all she ever does.

I consider lying, but deep down, she'd probably uncover the truth anyway. Is leaving out some details also considered lying? Probably not. "I took a ride home in the car."

Her eyebrows shoot up. "Whose car? Because it definitely wasn't mine. The driver freaked out a couple of hours ago, Courtney. He said you never reached out for a pickup. When he got to the museum, he realized you were already gone."

"He actually went inside the museum?" Guilt overwhelms me, and I'm pretty sure it's written all over my face.

"He drove around Hamilton, searching for you, and coincidentally spotted you leaving a restaurant with someone."

Her words leave me feeling dizzy, and I collapse onto the couch behind me. "Who?" I ask, my voice filled with confusion.

My mother comes closer, shoving her phone right in front of me. There's a picture on the screen of me and Duncan leaving Wawanakwa Grill together. I have a big smile on my face.

I've never seen myself look so happy before.

"Who the hell is that?" Mother demands, her tone filled with curiosity and a hint of concern.

"Duncan Nelson," I say, my voice surprisingly steady and composed.

She gives me a look and quickly puts her phone away. "Wait, are you talking about David's son?"

"That's the one. The youngest son," Father chimes in.

"I go to school with him. He's in my class," I add.

"Hmm," she says, looking at Father. "Maybe Duncan Nelson would be a better match for her than the boy tonight."

He gives a nod, showing his agreement.

I can't believe what I'm hearing. My jaw literally drops open in shock.

Is there more to tonight's dinner with the Lantz's than just business?

"What's going on?" I ask when they don't elaborate. "Duncan and I are just... friends."

"Why was he at the museum?" Mother asks.