30

Duncan

I'm in Headmaster McLean's office, sinking into the chair in front of his desk, listening to him talk to my father on the phone. I catch every word my father says about me, but I couldn't care less.

I want to leave. I have to talk to Courtney, straighten things out, and make sure she knows the truth about last night.

"After hearing your father's concerns about your lack of focus and disregard for school and others, typically, we would suspend students found outside campus after curfew," McLean explains. "However, considering we're nearing finals week and winter break, I believe this break will provide both your son and Miss Fairlie an opportunity to reflect on their actions and acknowledge their mistakes."

My father lets out a disapproving grunt. "You're too lenient with them, Chris."

McLean is can't win. If he suspends me, my father will be furious. If he lets me off, my father will still be furious.

"I'll assign them detention," McLean suggests, locking eyes with me. If I could, I'd flip him off, but I hold back. "For the rest of the week."

That's just two days. Not a big deal.

"I'll leave it to your judgement," my father dismisses, clearly finished with the discussion. "Duncan!"

"Yes?" God, I can't stand him.

"Enough with the games. Get your shit together for once in your goddamn life. Do you hear me?"

McLean visibly reacts to my father's blunt language.

"Got it," I respond.

Dad hangs up, and McLean, with a sigh, presses a button to end the call. Leaning forward, he rests his elbows on his cluttered desk and clasps his hands together. "You realize I'm giving you a break here," he says.

I lean in closer, seizing the chance. "And you know I'm being honest. Bridgette Fairlie was sneaking back onto campus after meeting with Alejandro Burromuerto. I saw his car. I saw him inside the car. And I'm pretty sure I saw him kiss her too."

McLean grimaces. "Are you certain?"

"I can't say for sure," I admit.

"You don't think he was just dropping her off at her dorm?

Oh, dear Headmaster McLean, why does everyone turn a blind eye to Alejandro's behavior?

"Why would he be dropping her off at her dorm at ten o'clock at night?" I ask, my tone devoid of emotion. "It's obvious they've been hooking up."

McLean sighs.

"Duncan, this is not to be taken lightly. If this gets out, it could jeopardize a student's place at the school."

"It'll come out." I'm feeling pretty damn good for exposing Alejandro. "He shouldn't even be here. These rumors have been going on for years. Haven't you heard about them?"

McLean sighs once more. "Rumors have been circulating about him for a while, yeah. Being a friendly guy who genuinely cares tends to attract a lot of attention, both positive and negative."

"So, that justifies him hooking up with random girls and breaking curfew," I say with a nod. "I see."

"Just so you know, no one has ever approached me about Mr. Burromuerto—ever," McLean emphasizes. "Sure, there have been rumors, but I've never seen any concrete evidence."

"Now you've got your report and your proof—me. I witnessed it," I state, standing up. "Can I head to class now?"

"What is your first period?"