Chapter 9

Aurora

"Alright Ladies! Game is gonna be easy if we do as we practiced" Coach Carlson yelled in the locker room, I was out of this world, I was out of this place, I wasn't focused, my head was spinning for the first time in a long time and my heart was shattering in my chest.

"Hey rookie!... Aurora!" Jasey snapped her fingers in front of my face to try and catch my attention.

"Wake up bro, hey! What's up with you?" She asked sounding a little worried, I looked around the room and realized everyone already left.

"I- I'm fine Jase, don't worry" I stood up and grabbed my stick leaving the room my helmet in one hand, cheers and whistles were louder the closer I got to the rink.

"Rookie, you're on now" coach said chewing harshly on his gum, I nodded and put my helmet on getting on the ice following after my teammates. Jasey was giving me a worried look but she didn't ask any questions, she took her spot and we waited for the game to start.

The other team all looked confident and ready for the game, Jasey was playing center and I was a left defenseman as coach instructed me.

The game started, Jasey stole the puck from the other team and was heading towards the goal but one of the girls on the defense slammed against her taking the puck and passing it towards her teammate.

They were attacking leaving me and Penny in defense, I wasn't focused on the game so I couldn't really read their next move or their plan, they ran by me and scored an easy goal.

"Rookie! Wake the fuck up!" I heard our coach yell. My eyes searched the crowd for the person who caused this, my eyes landed on her she wasn't even looking at the game she was busy talking to my sister acting like I don't exist.

I felt the wind get knocked out of my chest when someone slammed against me sending me sliding on the ice, the other team's right wing smirked down at me and skated away. I saw Penny and Jasey making their way towards me, they gave me their hands to get up.

"Aurora, whatever is going on with you put it aside on focus on the game. We're being destroyed, 2-0 in the first 10 minutes" Jasey tapped the side of my helmet, and Penny was looking at me almost begging me to wake up from this trance.

"We have 10 minutes left before the first period is over and we have to tie" I took a deep breath and nodded, I need to forget about her and what she said. I had to focus, I had to do this, for my team. Seeing the looks on their faces, the sadness and concern was making me feel bad for doing this, even if it was unintentional.

"You got this" Jasey fist bumped me and went to her spot, I kept my eyes on the girl who tackled me and was dedicated to get back at her.

Jase had the puck she passed it to our other teammate, I noticed one of the opponent getting ready to intercept the puck obviously by pushing Jasey out of the way so I ran towards her and slammed my shoulder to hers and since I was way stronger the girl hit the side board giving Jasey space to pass just for our clear teammate to score.

The crowd roared and Jasey made her way to me with a wide smile, she slapped my helmet making me chuckle.

"That's what I'm talking about rookie!" I heard Penny yell from behind me.

The game went on and we were 3-3 last 23 seconds before the game ends, Penny had the puck she passed it to me and I looked around scanning the rink to see who was clear for a pass but Jasey had a defender guarding her and no one was safe for a clear pass.

One chance, last seconds, the opponents charged towards me leaving one small space for me to give the puck a shot, they didn't expect me to shoot, they were waiting for a pass but I had a different plan.