Chapter 203 Friend Or Foe

Back in the pavilion at the back of Masquerade Club.

Master Fu was still sitting there but he wasn't playing chess. He was just seated there with a slight frown on his face for quite a while.

Broken Sword sat across him and was equally silent.

The wind gently blew in and formed ripples on the surface of the nearby pond.

"I didn't expect this at all," Master Fu finally spoke up after a long while. "This young fellow is so impressive."

It was way beyond what he had imagined.

"Impressive is right. Those thirty men were pretty much trash just three months ago," replied Broken Sword calmly. "But of course, when you look at them now, they're just better looking trash."

He didn't add on that since they could improve this much in just three months, then they could go a much longer way in the future. But how far they could go depended entirely on that man.

"You're sure there's no sign of the north?"

Master Fu asked Broken Sword one more time. This was totally unlike him. He never asked the same thing twice.

"There is only one family with the surname 'Jiang' in the north, but that family doesn't have anyone with this name. But of course, he could use a pseudonym."

But to Broken Sword, a genuinely highly skilled fighter would never care to use a pseudonym. "Are you worried that he's coming for us?"

It was difficult not to think so.

"The families of the north are in a big fight now, and the one backing us isn't in a good position right now," sighed Master Fu. "If someone wants to replace me at this point, it's only normal."

He couldn't interfere nor say anything when it came to a clash between that level of power.

Master Fu could command the illegal circles of Tianhai, but he was merely a spokesperson for that person in the north. To put it bluntly, he was just that person's dog.

Now that Jiang Ning had suddenly risen in Donghai, the older Master Fu couldn't help but suspect that someone wanted to replace him.

Broken Sword frowned slightly. "I'll go and kill him."

Master Fu shook his head. "Don't be rash. We still don't know if he's a friend or a foe."

Besides, Broken Sword had said that Jiang Ning's capabilities were no less than his own. So even if he managed to kill Jiang

Ning, Broken Sword might be severely injured as well, and Master Fu didn't want that to happen.

As for whether Jiang Ning was a friend or foe, actually Master Fu had an idea already. Jiang Ning was probably not a foe, but it would be hard to be friends.

"Zhao," Master Fu called out for Butler Zhao who was standing outside the pavilion. "Update me."

Butler Zhao came forward. "Yes, Master Fu."

Butler Zhao was Master Fu's eyes. He would get information from Masquerade Club on everything happening in Tianhai, then report to Master Fu.

"The change in Donghai is tremendous. The legal circle and the illegal circle is very well coordinated, so regardless of whether you're talking about the city's economic development or the orderliness in the illegal circle, it's really shocking."

"Jiang Ning is working behind the scenes all this while and hasn't really made any appearance, instead using Huang Yuming as his representative. So it's very hard to tell what he's doing right now."

Master Fu and Broken Sword raised their heads at the same time and there was a curiosity in their eyes.

"They have no illegal dealings or even businesses in gray areas. Everything is legal, and besides earning enough to pay their staff and subordinates, the rest is donated to build schools, libraries, parks and to help the needy."

Master Fu's eyes narrowed slightly, while a look of surprise appeared on Broken Sword's face.

They had never heard of anyone doing something like this before. Who on earth in the illegal circles would do such a thing?

Nobody would make money just to do charity. That was probably a cover for something else.

"Master Fu, they're not doing this just to cover up something else. They've been doing this all this while." Butler Zhao knew

Master Fu well and could tell what he was thinking about. He laughed and said, "This time Zhang Cheng and the other bosses went to Donghai to try to snatch some territory away, but besides not getting anything, Jiang Ning took $200 million from them!"

"And Jiang Ning used this $200 million to repair roads and build bridges."