Naya Din

The sun was clearly visible in the sky as clouds were on rest today. In bright sunlight, a three storey house is easy to find as it was built with a modest design but still looks unique with heritage design as compared to other houses on the same lane. Rajveer was cutting onions in kitchen to make Poha for breakfast but mind was running with many thoughts, such as how to talk to Naina, how to make her listen to why he didn't let anyone know of being alive, how to make her understand that she is very important to him....

Shalini after getting ready entered the kitchen to have breakfast with an old friend. She saw Rajveer lost in thoughts and suddenly ran towards him as he was about to put his hand on the burning stove instead of pan. Rajveer got startled when Shalini catches his hand and started shouting on him for this carelessness.

Shalini : "Hadh hain Captain. Kya kar rahe hain aap, hath jal jaata. Aap jaiye yaha se main breakfast bana deti hu".

Rajveer (smiled on her concern) : "Thanks Doctor for saving me but I can make breakfast. You are first guest in my house. Please mujhe banane dijie. (pointing towards a chair in front) Aap jaaiye aur us chair par baith jaaiye".

Shalini didn't want to hurt his feelings, so, did what he asked her to do. She wanted to ask him something but was still deciding how to start. Rajveer was busy in preparing the food but was thinking to discuss a matter with her. He thought that they should have breakfast first before bringing this up.

Poha and toast was ready and both quietly had the meal. Shalini was making tea after a lot of insistence and Rajveer was playing with the cutlery stand on the dining table. Shalini finally asked "Should I call Alekh or Huda. I think let me call Alekh, woh hi Naina se baat kar sakta hain. Captain aapne jab se mujhe apne bare Mae sabh bataya hain main raat bhar so bhi nahi payi, bas wahi soch rahi hu. How can you do it? I know, aap ke liye asan nahi hoga par humare liye bhi nahi tha".

Rajveer (sighed and looked towards her) : "Doctor, please mujhe bhi samajne ki koshish kijiye. I was in hospital for a long time. Jab hosh aaya toh ek naye sehar mae tha. Sab ajnabi the waha. I contacted Chobey to know about all of you. He told me how my cadets were punished for helping me. I was feeling helpless as was not able to do anything for them. Phir pata chala Lalaji ka (closed eyes to push the pain). Mujhe itna bara dokha mila apne hi kareebi insaan se, mera dimag maane ko tayar nahi tha".

Shalini : "I know Captain, it was difficult for you. Hume bhi shock laga tha jab pata chala us aadmi nae kya kiya aapke aur cadets kae saath. Par usse move on hoga, aapko apne aur Naina kae liye. Itna asan nahi aap ko maaf karna for leaving all of us especially Naina".

Rajveer's phone rang and he picked it up.

Rajveer (angrily) : "What? How can you be so careless? Raat ko check kyu nahi kiya. Guests kya sochenge ki hum unka saaman ka dhyaan nahi rakhte...... Bas think hain, koi excuse mat do abh.....Send me the parcel and address, I will deliver it personally".

Shalini can see how he is showing his anger on this poor person who is on another line. She wanted to handle him carefully from today as he was looking on the edge.

Rajveer cuts the call and palmed his forehead frustratingly.

Rajveer : "Doctor, kya hum iske bare mae baad mae baat kar sakte hain. Hotel mae kuch problem ho gayi hain. I have to go, can you please stay here and feel like home. I will be back in two hours".

Shalini (smiled) : "I know it's like a home for me, akhir aap ka ghar jo hain. Kya main aapke saath chal sakti hu. I will be bored here".

Rajveer (chuckled) : "Please don't worry, I won't run away. Just wait for 15-20 minutes as I am waiting for a parcel then we can leave".