Ateet aur Aaj

There was complete silence in the room and only their eyes were speaking. They were talking to each other without a word but still needed to put something in words to make it real.

Rajveer (cleared his throat and said very softly) : "Naina".

Naina shivered when she heard her name. He always made her name special when it comes out from his mouth. Rajveer also sees a shift in her body and smiles that he still can make her nervous. She didn't let him say anything more and said

Naina (looked down) : "Aapne Ali aur Yudi ko miss kar diya hain kyuki woh subah hi chale gaye. Alekh, Huda aur Pooja market gaye hain mere parents kae saath. I have messaged Alekh that you are here and they will be back in some time. Aap chahe toh yaha unka intezaar kar sakte hain kyuki yae aapke dost ka bhi ghar hain".

He felt that she was talking to a stranger and not to a person whom she knew so well. It was painful to hear this from her and pushed his tears back.

Rajveer : "Thanks Naina par kya main tum se milne nahi aa sakta".

Naina glanced at him and said

Naina (dryly chuckled) : "Bahut jaldi aa gaye".

Rajveer can hear pain and complain in those words but still needs to talk to her then only they can clear things in between them.

Rajveer (looked into her eyes) : "Abh toh aa gaya hu na. Itna bhi haq nahi mera tum par jo tum meri baat suno".

Naina (keeping the eye contact) : "Aap apne sare haq kho chuke hain".

He got tears in eyes and stood up to walk towards her but Naina showed her hand to stop him. Rajveer ignored this, went near to her and said

Rajveer (very softly) : "Tum chah kar bhi Naina, mere haq ko nahi cheen sakti jaise mere pae tumhara tha, hain aur rahega".

Naina knows what he is saying is true as when they were in the academy, there was a right that he had on her and she had on him. They didn't say this but both of them and people around them know that. It's still there and she can't deny. She walked towards the middle of room as was not able to stand so close to him. His deep stare with so many emotions was making her weak.

Naina (looked in front and sighed) : "Kya kehna hai aapko, vaise kuch bacha nahi hain sunne ko. Aap pehle hi sabh kuch bol chuke hain".

He wanted to tell her many things about how she became an important part of his life, when he realised he fell in love with her, how he lived all these years without her and many more. But didn't want to scare her right now and said

Rajveer : "Tum mere saath strangers ki tarah kyu behave kar rahi ho. I am not only Naveen's friend but yours too".

Naina (scoffed and looked at the lamp that was on the table near to him where he was standing) : "Friends? Dost kabhi dusre dost to akela nahi chorte ya nahi chupate ki woh zinda hain".

Rajveer (exhaled) : "Main tum sab ko pehle bhi bata chuka hu ki maine aisa kyu kiya....".

Naina didn't let him complete and said "Aur main sun bhi chuki hu. Agar aur kuch kehna hain toh boliye".

She moved her hand to place open hair on back and Rajveer saw her engagement ring. He was already angry at their engagement and now Naina's reply made him more angrier.

Rajveer (in a loud voice) : "Break off your engagement".

Naina looked at him with wide eyes and tried to understand what he was saying. Did he just order her to break her engagement, what he thinks of himself to come here and say that to her.