63|You cheated on her with your ex... who was a ghost!

Jeremy's surprise was palpable as he laid eyes on Elena, who had seemingly vanished from his life for over two months. The shock in his voice was clear as he stammered, "Elena?"

His confusion quickly transformed into a barrage of questions, fueled by worry and disbelief. "What the hell? Where have you been?" His eyes searched her face, looking for clues, for some semblance of the sister he knew.

But the Elena standing before him now was different. There was a darkness in her eyes that hadn't been there before, a chilling depth that unsettled him. She seemed distant, almost detached from the world around her.

"Trying to get my life back," she replied, her voice flat, devoid of the warmth and emotion Jeremy remembered. Her words hung in the air, heavy with unsaid truths and unshared burdens. Jeremy could sense the profound changes in her, changes that went deeper than just her physical absence. He stood there, torn between concern and a growing sense of unease, unsure of how to bridge the gap that had formed between them.

Jeremy's words carried a mix of relief and lingering concern as he addressed Elena. "Well, thanks for letting your brother know you were safe," he said, a hint of sarcasm underlining his genuine worry. "I was really worried about you."

Without waiting for a response, he stepped forward and pulled her into a tight hug. For a brief moment, he was unsure if she would reciprocate, the tension in her body almost palpable. But then, slowly, he felt her arms encircle his back, returning the embrace.

Relief washed over Jeremy as he felt her hug back. He smiled faintly, a small sense of comfort seeping in amidst the confusion. In that embrace, he found a glimmer of the sister he knew and loved. It reassured him, at least for the moment, that he hadn't completely lost the Elena he grew up with. It was a moment of connection in the midst of the whirlwind of changes and uncertainties surrounding them.

Elena's entrance into the house was met with a mixture of concern and frustration. She forced a smile upon seeing Matt, hoping to avoid further interrogation. Her mind was preoccupied with executing her plan swiftly before Cade noticed her absence.

Matt, however, was not easily placated. "Where have you been?" he asked, his tone laced with concern and a hint of annoyance. Elena brushed off his question, focused on her own agenda. "Where's the vampire from the Grill?" she countered, bypassing his inquiry.

Matt exchanged a glance with Jeremy before addressing Elena. "Seriously? That's what you came back for? We were all worried about you, Elena," he said, his voice rising with emotion. He knew about her actions and choices from Caroline, and his disappointment was evident. "I'm sorry about Damon, but this isn't like you. You know Bonnie would never hurt you on purpose, right?"

As Matt stood confronting Elena, the tension between them escalated. Jeremy, sensing the brewing conflict, intervened, stepping between them. "Okay, both of you, just stop it!" He turned to Matt, "You can't blame her for feeling this way. Her best friend and her boyfriend are together. How would you react?" Then, addressing Elena, he added, "And you! You just vanished. Did you think we wouldn't worry about you?" His frustration gave way to a quieter, more hurtful admission. "No one even asked how I felt about all this."

The room fell into an awkward silence, punctuated by Jeremy's words. Matt, trying to lighten the mood, mentioned Jeremy's past relationship woes with Bonnie. "I never asked because you and Bonnie have been over for a while, plus... you cheated on her with your ex... who was a ghost."

Elena couldn't help but laugh out loud at the absurdity of the situation, but Jeremy was not amused. "You think this is funny?" he shot back, his feelings clearly hurt.

Elena's laughter died down as she confronted her brother. "You can't compare me losing the love of my life to you and Bonnie. Did you even love her, Jeremy?" Her question hung in the air, a stark reminder of the complex web of relationships and emotions that entangled them all.

Jeremy's admission, heavy with regret and honesty, momentarily stilled the room. Elena, sensing the depth of his feelings, moved closer, her demeanor softening. "Do you want her back?" she inquired, her voice gentle, almost tentative.

Jeremy didn't hesitate in his response. "Yes, I do," he affirmed, a spark of hope flickering in his eyes.

Elena's next words were careful, yet filled with a conviction that seemed to resonate in the quiet room. "We can get them back, Jer. I've found someone who can guarantee that happens."

Jeremy's curiosity was piqued, yet he was understandably cautious. "Who is this person?" he asked, his desperation battling with his uncertainty.

"Someone very powerful," Elena replied cryptically. Her response was purposefully vague, but the implications of it were clear. She was involved in something far bigger, far more dangerous than any of them could have imagined.

Matt, who had been silently observing the exchange, felt a growing sense of unease. He wasn't sure what to make of the conversation unfolding before him. He knew he should be cautious, maybe even skeptical, but part of him understood the desperate desire to rectify past mistakes, to regain what had been lost. Yet, as he watched the siblings, he couldn't shake the feeling that they were on the brink of something that could change everything. And in that moment, he knew that, regardless of the uncertain path ahead, his loyalty lay with his friends.

Matt's internal conflict was palpable as he watched the conversation between Elena and Jeremy. The idea of harnessing some unknown, powerful force to alter the current situation seemed fraught with danger, and Matt couldn't shake his apprehensions. He knew all too well the complexities and risks involved in their supernatural world, and this plan of Elena's sounded like it could have serious, unintended consequences.

"This can't be a good idea," Matt thought, his mind racing. While he empathized with Elena's pain and Jeremy's longing, the safety of his friends, particularly Bonnie and Caroline, was paramount. He couldn't, in good conscience, support any plan that might put them at risk.

The dilemma left him feeling trapped. On one hand, he wanted to support his friends in their time of need; on the other, he was acutely aware of the potential for harm. The thought of causing a rift within their tight-knit group was distressing. Had they already reached a point of no return? Were they on the cusp of an internal conflict that could tear their group apart?

As he stood there, weighing his options, Matt realized that whatever decision he made, it would have to be with the well-being of all his friends in mind. It was a daunting responsibility and one that he wished he didn't have to bear. But in the world they lived in, these difficult choices were all too common.

Happy New Year!!!!