21. The dinner

The evening light gently caressed my skin as I stood in front of the mirror, trying to tame the anxiety that danced in my eyes.

I still wasn't used to looking at my reflection, so my eyes were unconsciously running away from my reflection.

Suzan took her place behind me, her nimble fingers taking care of detangling my hair with comforting tenderness. Each brush stroke was like a friendly caress, a gentleness that soothed the doubts that were creeping into my mind.

We spent the rest of the afternoon telling each other about our lives, talking about everything and nothing. Mike had gone home a few hours ago, and the other jerk still hadn't come down.

"You're beautiful, you know?" she whispered, but unfortunately this simple affirmation was not able to bring even a glimmer of confidence into my eyes.

I wondered if she was complimenting me out of politeness.

Once my hair was detangled, she began to skillfully style it, creating a tangle of carefully arranged curls. I was amazed at how it could transform my hair, giving it life and movement. It's been a long time since I took care of my hair, always tying it up in a hurry, without giving it any importance.

Seeing them now, I began to think of my mother's. I remember them being soft and silky, flowing with grace and harmony, cascading fluidly down to her lower back like a veil of light. Like a shower of gold, they unfolded in a multitude of curls and waves behind his back.

Then it was time for makeup, a final touch to perfect my appearance. She chose soft shades that highlighted my eyes, emphasizing their depth. His gestures were delicate, almost like caresses, and I felt privileged to be pampered in this way.

"No need," I said when she tried to put lipstick on me.

"These beautiful full lips should be highlighted, miss! It's a waste," she grumbled.

I laughed lightly and nodded, finally giving him the green light, feeling my heart lighten with his compliments. She seemed to be delighted, and colored my lips with burgundy lipstick.

It was strange, I hadn't worn makeup like that for so long that seeing myself like that in the reflection of the mirror made me feel funny. As if I was seeing another person. I even think I felt... beautiful.

"Well, it's time for me to go and attend your wonderful evening behind a screen!" she said ironically, without hiding her bad faith.

Suzan's caring presence had the power to make me forget my pre-dinner insecurities, at least for a moment.

She was responsible for tracking us through hacked surveillance cameras, as well as through microphones placed here and there under a few tables beforehand by their men.

When he left, the apartment seemed empty of life. I also put on the dress borrowed from Suzan, and fortunately it fitted from the bottom.

I asked her to bring something simple, and even though it was an ordeal for her to find a simple dress in her closet, she brought me this long black sleeveless dress that was absolutely divine. I was a little disappointed once inside, since I didn't highlight it as it deserved to be.

Anyway, I didn't dwell any further on this detail.

Once I was fully ready, silence fell upon me, and I realized how much of a difference being in good company made.

"Isaac?" I said, breaking the dead silence of the living room.

I looked upstairs, but there didn't seem to be anyone there. However, the time was approaching, and we should already be on our way.