33. Bait

"You'll be fine, I'll be there," the killer reassured me.

He had been talking to me about his plan for several minutes, while I listened to him while drying the clean glasses with a cloth. The pub was packed, as usual.

"I know nothing will happen to me, Isaac," I replied calmly as a storm of fear and apprehension surged through me at that very moment.

I knew nothing would happen to me as long as he was there to watch over me and protect me. It had always been this way; he had never failed in his protection. If anyone wanted to harm me, it would be him, and only him. Just like when he deliberately shot me.

"I know you're scared, but it'll be quick," he added before taking a sip of his drink.

Of course he knew I was scared; what could I hide from him even if I tried?

I simply responded with a strained smile before quickly serving other impatient customers waiting for their drinks for the arrival of the dancers. Indeed, the lights dimmed further, and the DJ changed the music, plunging us into a much more sensual atmosphere.

As everyone watched the scene, I couldn't help but have my mind elsewhere. What if they noticed I had a tracker on me? What if they realized I had willingly let myself be kidnapped? Caleb's men would probably kill me on the spot, I suppose. Was it really the only solution to catch him? Were there no other ways to achieve this?

But Isaac was right, there had been little to no progress for months, and they had been on this case long before we met.

Ultimately, I believe that more than for my freedom, I was doing it for him. To finally free him from his demons and the chains that kept him trapped in his life, so that we could be together. So that he could be with me without remorse, without reluctance, without barriers. So that he would stop believing that being with me meant danger or death. Because yes, he wasn't the only one who could read thoughts.

Raising my head from my tasks, I saw that Isaac, unlike everyone around us, was not watching the scene. No. He was watching me, alone behind the counter working in an outfit that was probably unappealing at this hour.

Once again, he took a sip without taking his eyes off me, before winking at me, which left me stunned. Did he know how attractive he was? I was certain he didn't.

Timidly, I returned his smile, unable to stop myself from showing my teeth. This man made me feel all kinds of things.

I went back to my tasks and checked the time on my phone. Just ten minutes left before the end of my shift. About a quarter of an hour before the kidnapping.

At the thought, I swallowed hard, my heart pounding.

I wished time would slow down, that the minutes would pass more slowly, and yet, every time I looked at the clock, time seemed to taunt me and sped up at a crazy pace.

As the much-awaited moment approached, I turned towards Isaac. He gestured for me to come closer. I set down the bottles I was holding and obeyed.

When I reached him, he stood up and leaned over the counter, offering me a delicate kiss as I rose up on my tiptoes. His lips were warm, as was his breath against my nose. It was soothing, if only a little.

When he pulled away, he didn't say anything, simply giving me a look that said it all. He was going to leave.

Before leaving, he ran his right hand over my cheek, caressing it with his thumb. I could see in his eyes that he was asking me to trust him, assuring me that nothing would happen to me. Yes, it was the demons in his eyes that told me so. He was at the height of his patience, the long-awaited moment having arrived. The time for his revenge had come.