What's it like being in a family?

Tegan's P.O.V
August 2012

~~~

I can't believe this is happening. Oliver is being relocated to live with different foster parents. I've never imagined this day. I sit on the stairs, watching his new foster parents sign the papers.

"Are you ready, Oliver?" Mrs. Marjorie Willis asks.

"I'm ready." Oliver nods.

They both smile at him, helping him grab his belongings. While stepping towards the door, Oliver glances at me, smiling and waving. In three small steps, he's out of our house.

Just like that.

Gone.

"You guys will still see each other at school and he's welcome over anytime. The Fishers simply live on the other side of the park." Mrs. Marjorie Willis assures me, smiling sympathetically. "He adores you."

I want to slap that silly sympathy right off her sweet face.

"I know he will." I state, turning around swiftly and running upstairs.

~~~

"What's it like with the Fishers?"

Oliver and I are back at the rooftops, laying on our backs, looking up at the sky. The breeze just right and the sun going down. We'll probably have to get going soon. Oliver's new house is about five blocks away from mine.

"I'm the only kid there, so it feels different. I loved having you and Molly and Joy around. Molly and Joy are the closest things to sisters I've ever had." He begins.

"Hey! What about me, loser?"

"Don't throw a hissy, you're my best friend!"

I smile, relieved.

"Plus, you forced me to kiss you that one time." He turns his head, facing me.

"I did not force you!" I defend myself. "You closed your eyes!"

"You initiated it."

"What, I- erg," I groan.

"Don't get flustered, Swallows. Just giving ya a taste of your own teasing medicine." He chuckles, turning his head to look back up at the sky. "Anyways, the Fishers feel more like family and less like Foster Care. I'm their first kid, so they're proper try hards, you know? They really want to get it right, so it's been a bit luxurious. They got me that new bike. It feels almost loving."

I thought about his description. In my wildest dreams I would get adopted before aging out of foster care.

Have a legal mum and dad. My mum will be pretty, sweet and smart. My dad will be funny, kind and hard working. They'll love me and buy me things, like clothes and shoes and a new bike. My mum would wake me up for school and make me breakfast.

My dad will leave just as I'm finishing breakfast, then mum would drive me to school and shout out embarrassing things as I'm walking up. Every night we would sit around the table for dinner and talk about our days.

Ever since I went to church with Oliver's family this morning, I know that's something I want to do with my family. Even though all the people there smile too much and it makes me sick, I love the singing and going away with all the other kids my age.

"What happened to your folks?" Oliver interrupts my thoughts.

"I don't know." I answer, truthfully. "Do you still remember your's?"

"Yeah," He replies, quietly. "I think you'd like my father."

"What makes you say that?"

"He was mysterious, a part of him always hidden away from the world."

"Do you miss them?"

"Some days more than others, but I know I'll see them soon."

~~~

04.12.16