Are you afaird of death?

3rd Person
July 2012

~~~

Tegan and Oliver sat on the rooftops of the Main Street Leyton.

"This must be how birds feel when they watch us all running around." Tegan remarks, looking down on the town.

Oliver laughs.

Tegan takes a deep breathe and lays back on the black turf, looking up at the summer sky. The sun is setting and they'd have to get head back home soon. Oliver lays down beside her, without a word exchanged.

"Are you afraid of death?" Tegan interrupts the silence between them.

"Death doesn't concern me, irrelevant, truthfully. As long as I am here, with you, death isn't here. I reckon, when it is here, then I no longer exist. I suppose I've got nothing to worry about then, yeah?"

"Ollie, you morbid bastard!" Tegan laughs, shaking her head. "You go all philosophical on death, but you're petrified of the dark."

"I am not afraid of the dark." He corrects her. "I'm afraid of losing the light."

"Well, it's getting dark outside. Reckon we should go? You know, so you don't get afraid of losing your light."

That's how most conversations went between the adolescent pair. Conversations from why they think there are twenty four hours in a day to how they think the world will end.

Oliver is a sharp boy, a bit clumsy and introverted. A bit of an overthinker.

The opposite of Miss. Tegan's was spontaneum, wild and adventurous behavior. She didn't like to think about what could possibly happen, instead she wanted to find out.

Tegan and Oliver stand up, walking to the ledge of the building. Climbing up was easy, but jumping down, well, that is quite frightening.

"Oliver, if you're not afraid of death, are you afraid of heights?"

"Well, I once read this book about parkour-" Oliver starts.

"Have you ever kissed anyone?"

"No,"

"Do you think we should? You know, just in case we don't make it."

"Tegan, we couldn't possibly die from-"

"Shut up. Close your eyes."

Oliver closes his eyes.

"On the count of three." Tegan instructs. "One.... Two... Three!"

Tegan closes her eyes and barely touches her lips to his. Oliver's eyes shoot open. Immediately, Tegan turns her head, facing the ledge of the building once again.

"Now tell me about your book. How are we supposed to survive this?" Tegan asks, glancing back at Oliver.

~~~

"We did it." Tegan said, breathing heavily and letting out laughs between her breathes.

~~~

6.30.17