A White Halloween

Tegan's P.O.V
October 2012

~~~

When witches go riding, & black cats are seen, the moon laughs & whispers, 'tis near Halloween!

That's right, boos, it's Halloween! My favourite day of the entire year!

This weekend, Mrs. Fisher brought Oliver and I see celebrate with the boys. Downstairs, we watched Hocus Pocus.

This is my fifth year in a row celebrating Halloween with Oliver. Every year, we dress up in a "couples" costume. This year I am dressed as Marty McFly and he is Doc from Back to the Future.

"You guys won't believe this!" Niall comes running down the stairs. "It is snowing outside!"

"No shit?" Zayn replies, standing up from the sofa.

"Can I please go out?" Oliver pleads.

"You'll ruin your costumes!" Mrs. Fisher points out.

"Come on, it's not like we can be McFly and Doc again next year!" Oliver whines.

"Besides, Mrs. Fisher, we already decided on being Piglet and Winnie the Pooh." I explain.

"I'm gonna check it out." Niall states.

Zayn follows him upstairs.

"Come on, everyone!" Zayn peeks his head around the corner.

I stand up from the sofa and run towards the stairs. I take two at a time, trying to catch up with them. On the main floor, the front door is open, allowing small snowflakes to fall into the flat.

I step out onto the porch, looking around. There's barely any fall, just enough to leave a footprint or roll a baby snowball.

"This is barmy!" Oliver stands behind me.

I turn my head up towards the sky, watching the flakes fall through the air between the glowing lights of the streetlamps. A few chuckles fall from my lips. Oliver grabs my hand, pulling me off the porch into the small yard.

"I once read that Egyptians have fifty words for sand and Eskimos have a hundred words for snow." Oliver tells me, tilting his head up and catching small snowflakes on his tongue.

Silently, the snowflakes fall, each one unique in its own way.

Liam, Harry and Louis make it outside.

I lay down on the ground, attempting to make a snow angel. I move my arms and legs from side to side. Above me, Zayn begins a pathetic snowball fight, chucking one at Liam.

My view of the sky becomes blocked by the sight of Zayn's face. His arms rise, handfuls of snow hoovering over me.

"Don't think abou-" I am cut off by the white powder landing in my face.

Slowly, I bring my hands to my face, my index and middle fingers wiping the snow from my eyes. I sit up, searching for Zayn. I spot him cowering behind Liam.

"Oliver! Get Zayn!"

"Oh, yeah!" Oliver realizes, bending down and cupping a snowball.

Oliver misses Zayn when he throws, but I appreciate his effort nonetheless.

I make my own snowball, running towards Zayn. I chuck as accurately and forcefully as I can. Zayn spins, attempting to dodge, but my snowball reaches him in the middle of his back.

"Ha, I got you!" I laugh, resting my hands on my knees, catching my breath.

I smile to myself, watching as Harry and Louis make snow angels, everyone else running around the yard, laughing and hollering

Vehicles pass through the street, accompanying possible trick-or-treaters or partygoers.

A newfound coldness distracts me from my observations. Swiftly, I spin around, facing Mrs. Fisher a couple feet away, smiling innocently.

"Mrs. Fisher!"

"What? That was Harry!" She points, shaking her head. "Harry, show me the way to the Hot Chocolate inside?"

"Yes, ma'am!" Harry agrees.

As the walk towards the flat, behind them, I notice Oliver spinning himself around, his face towards the skin. I run over to him, grabbing his hand. I spin him around, laughing. Standing across from each other, we clasp both of our hands, kicking our feet out underneath us.

Delicately, snowflakes landed on Oliver's cheeks, quickly melting.

I laugh, watching him become tangled in his own feet.

The wind catches Oliver's hat, carrying it off his head. Quickly, he drops my hands and crosses the yard, following it. Without checking the lanes, he steps into the street where his cap lands.

I turned my head to the left, noticing a truck hauling down the road. Oliver crouches in the lane, reaching for his cap.

"Oliver, stand up!" Quickly, I rush to the curb.

Oliver stays crouched and the truck continues towards him.

"Watch out!" I wave my arms in the air, attempting to gain the driver's attention.

~~~