Le Grand Palias

Tegan's P.O.V.
March 2013

~~~

Paris is not a city, it's a whole other world. Apparently, there is no such thing as a bad days in Paris. It kinda makes me feel like I'm not a real human. Like I'm living in a telly show or a character in a book.

I have been enrolled in an English speaking school. I begin on Monday.

Getting to know Adelaide has been pretty easy. She's a brilliant lady, easy to get on with, but a bit bland if I admit. She was born in Paris and lived here her whole life, so she's got loads of places she plans on showing me.

Today, I am going to Le Grand Palias, a huge ice skating rink.

"I've made crepes!" Adelaide pops her head into my room quickly.

I follow her to the kitchen.

"It smells delicious in here!" I chirp.

"Thank you," she smiles. "Fun fact, crepes are my favourite thing to make."

"I never even had one," I shrug.

"Girl, you're a mess!" She raises her eyebrows. "Alright if I drop you off at the rink? I've to pick up our car from the dealership."

"No problemo," I nod.

Turns out, crepes are like thin pancakes filled with cream cheese and fruit.

I open the Twitter app on my phone.

Tegan @OfficialTeganSwallows
"missin' a certain little Leppy today :( xx"

I tweet with a picture of Niall and I making silly faces in an elevator mirror.

Niall Horan @NiallOffical
Replying to @OfficialTeganSwallows
"forgot about this pic ! miss you loads !"

Almost immediately, Niall quote tweets with a reply.

Louis Tomlinson @Louis_Tomlinson
Replying to @OfficiaTeganSwallows
"I see how it is , brat !! xx"

Laughing, I favourite Lou's Tweet, sending a quick, but sarcastic reply.

Immediately, my original Tweet is bombarded with retweets, favourites and replies. Loads of replies inquire of where I am or claim they miss the lads as well.  Course there's random follow requests or inappropriate comments to one of them.

~~~

Excitingly, I sit on a bench, removing my converse. Struggling, I pull on the pair of ice skates. I pull the laces as tight as I can, doubling knotting them. Slowly, I try to stand, wobbling a bite, my arms going in circles at my sides.

I've never gone ice skating before. Oliver and I used to rollerblade. Correction, I rollerbladed and Oliver typically watched from the cement. Hopefully, this is similar.

Strangely, I don't really know how to even move in these. I penguin walk to the edge of the rink. I place my hand on the wall. I push one foot behind me, separating it from the ice. I don't find this much like rollerblading.

Barely, I skate around the curve of the rink, my hand staying on the wall. Becoming a bit too confident, I speed up my pace, my feet slipping behind me and landing flat on my stomach.

"Aïe!" A voice behind me, shouted.

Sprawled out like a starfish, I turn my head backwards, meeting a teenage bloke standing perfectly still on his skates behind me. He smiles, chuckling slightly. Oh, I see, correction, an attractive teenage bloke behind me.

Realizing I'm still spread like a starfish, quickly I climb onto my knees. Swiftly, he skates around to the front of me.

"D'accord?" He gestures his hand towards me.

I grab his hand and he pulls back, helping me up. When my skates hit the ice, I wobble, leaning in towards him slightly.

"Are you new to this?" He asks, his accent much stronger than Adelaide's.

"Is it that obvious?"

"No, no! The only clear sign was falling face first at my feet." He teases, smiling.

Cute boys shouldn't be allowed to smile.

"Hey! If I could properly use these, I would skate away from you right now."

His nose scrunches up as he laughs.

"Your name?" He adjusts his white beanie, ebony hair sticking out from under.

A slight pink tint on his nose and cheeks contrasts his sepia skin tone.

I consider using a fake name. The idea always intrigued me and seeing the same stranger in Paris twice is unlikely.

"Tegan," I decide. "Your's?"

"Romeo,"

Even with braces, his smile is made for magazines. Through the metal, you can still see that not all teeth have straightened yet, but nonetheless he's adorable. Plus, if he smiles at me one more time, I will in fact pee myself.

"Thanks a load for rescuing me. Lovely to meet you." His eyes widen as if he's gotten an idea.

"Course! Erm, I could actually help you." He offers. "I mean, if you'd like of course?"

"Absolutely," I chuckle, nodding.

Eventually, I've come to the conclusion this boy has been ice skating since in the womb. He skated backwards while lightly holding both of my hands and leading me forward.

"You're getting much better!"

"A true gentleman," I laugh. "But truly you don't have to lie."

"I'm not lying! Honest!" Amusement clear across his face. "Are you from around here?"

"Erm, I've just moved here." I answer. "With my parents."

So, that's the first time I've compulsively lied.

"Welcome to Paris!"

I smile.

"Have you always lived here?"

"I've been a bit all over the place. Explains why I'm fluent in French and English." Romeo answers.

"French is a bit difficult, I'm currently learning."

"Can't ice skate, can't speak french, what can you do?"

"Stuff it!"Confidently shoving his shoulder slightly.

"Well, Miss, I must go. I'm awaited by my mother." He grins, making eye contact.

Let's face it, I'll never see him again.

~~~

Rewritten May 2020