Blood Magic (S)

TW: Dragon Age AU

Parv watches Strife from his place against the wall, head leaned back onto the cold stone. The templar paces about the room, the sound of his armour clanging loud and harsh in the tense silence.

"Blood magic." Strife eventually speaks, and Parv's stomach turns. He knew they had to have the conversation eventually - he just didn't want it now. He tries for a shaky grin and lifts his head up, meeting Strife's eyes.

"Blood magic." He confirms. "I couldn't live like this, Strifey. Not like some trapped bird. I'm too good for this." Parv's use of his nickname makes Strife flinch, and he has to fight back tears at the way he turns away. For another few moments, the two of them remain quiet.

"You will die, Parvis." Strife breaks the silence. "Carry on like this and you will die, either because you kill yourself doing some spell or I...I do it for you."

It's a threat, clear as day, and Parv lets his head hit his knees. His arm still aches from the shallow cuts, and it's damp against his leg from blood. He can feel the raw energy pouring from it, and for a moment terrifying thoughts fill him. He could end it right here; he has the power, he's strong enough to rise up and break Strife's spine with the click of a finger. Then he'd escape with no one ever knowing.

He fights the wave of darkness back, clutching onto the fabric of his robes. He'd never do that. Not to himself. Not to Strife.

"I know. I'm sorry, Strifey-"

"Don't call me that." Another pause. "This...This is fucking dangerous, Parvis. This could get us both killed." Even with the cruelty in his words, Strife's voice is soft as he sits down next to him, and Parv knows he isn't talking about the blood magic alone.

"That's what makes it worthwhile. Fight the power, Will." He takes hold of Strife's hand as he speaks, and the humoured smile that forms on the templar's face is enough to light even the darkest corners of his mind.
"Go back to calling me Strifey. Ugh, no one's ever managed to make my name sound so pathetic."

"Love you too, Strifeykins."

Credit to SunriseTheVulpix on Ao3