Businessmen And Stars (S)

TW: Drabble, Implied Parvill

As I look up at him, I can't help but just sit in wonder.

"Strife?" I whisper, rolling over in the grass to ask him, but I almost don't want to.

He lies in the field and stares up at the night sky with a distant smile on his face. His mind seems to be somewhere else entirely as his eyes fixate on a bright light in the vast sky.

"Will...?" I mumble, moving my arm to his cheek. He's glowing, a bright green this time, with beautiful freckles like glass shards that dot his cheeks and neck. He looks over with a small smile.

"Parvis...?" His voice is dreamy, far away. I think I prefer him like this. Calm. Quiet. Not so... Stressed.

"Willlllllll..." I mutter with a smirk, pulling myself over to him. "What are you thinking about?"

He doesn't reply. He just smiles at me slightly before looking back up at the vast, unending sky.

"Did I ever tell you about my home?" He asks quietly, his eyes looking up at the intricate sky. I don't interrupt him, just watching as the glowing green light drifts across his face.

"It's up there... Somewhere. I... I know that much. Just waiting to be found right? Waiting for me to come back?" He pauses as I move closer, resting my head on his chest.

"...Do you miss it?"

"Yeah." He mumbles, drawing a slow breath. "A lot."

I can feel every heartbeat, every breath. Slowed down just a little as he relaxes as much as a businessman can. As much as William Strife can.

"Why don't you go home?"

His breathing stops for a split second before shakily returning to its rhythm, something I shouldn't have noticed but-

"I've got things to do down here."

"Business things?"

He pauses again, breathing in slowly and deliberately.

"Sure. Yeah."

"Like what?" I ask playfully, smiling up at him.

"Do you count?" He smiles back, his cheeks dancing with colour as the light on his body melts into the sky, the whole galaxy unraveling upon us. And in that moment, everything is still.

There are no bombs, there are no impending death threats and there is no red matter.

There's just me.

And there's just him.

Credit to rainbowbrickroad on Ao3