Macau

I watched as Pete walked in. It's more like he hobbled in. I quickly ran up to him and held onto him. He just shot me a small smile but pulled himself away from me. I watched, pained as he checked in on me.

"Are you ok?" Pete uttered softly.

"I'm ok, P. You? Why did you take so long to come in?"

"P Korn was speaking with me outside. Why are you still here? Go rest, na."

Pete smiled at me and started walking away. I grabbed his wrist and held onto it. He tried to pull it away, but I held on as firmly as I could without hurting him.

"What's with you? I'm ok. You should go. Go check on Vegas. Go see if everyone is doing fine. Porsche, Ken, Kinn."

I sighed. I knew I had hurt him badly with my words.

"P. I'm sorry. I was just.."

"It's ok, Macau. I am not angry with you. It's good you set things straight. Don't worry. I will still do my job well. If you need anything, you can always call me."

Before I could say anything else, Pete walked away. I sighed deeply. He didn't come out for breakfast and lunch the next day. I did hear his voice, so I knew he was around, but he successfully stayed out of my way. Well, I shouldn't complain. I did ask for it, but it stung a lot now.

He was a good man. Did I really have to hurt him until like that? And till the end, he looked out for me all the way. I sighed softly. I fixed a plate of food and brought it to his room. I knocked once, twice, and finally Pete opened the door.

"Owh, Macau. Is everything ok? Why are you here?"

"P, I came by with food for you. You didn't eat breakfast or lunch. You can't do that. You got your medicines to take."

"I'm all good, Macau. Don't worry about me. Thanks for this, but I will eat later."

"But you have your meds to take. I did time. You are due one in another hour. Eat now, so that..."

"I don't think you need to worry so much  about me, Macau."

I growled lowly.

"Can you stop this?! I'm sorry. But stop shutting me out. I know I said some hurtful stuff, and I am very, very sorry, but please. Let me look after you."

Pete looked at me for so long but shook his head and just closed the door on me. I was so stunned, I just stood in front of the door a good 10 minutes in silence.

I finally went away, knowing I was fighting a losing battle. I went back to my room and didn't go out at all for the day. I just read, did my work, played my guitar, and the hours just passed. I had almost missed dinner, too. Suddenly, around 10 p.m., someone knocked on my door.

I went to open it, only to be greeted by Pete.

"Vegas told me you have not eaten yet. Do you want anything?"

I looked at him and shook my head no.

"You sure? I am making something for myself."

I looked at him and stalled. I was stubborn because he didn't want to eat. But he was now, so...

"Follow me." He grabbed my hand and dragged me to the kitchen. We sat down, and he cooked porridge for us both. It wasn't the best, but to me, it tasted so good. I wolfed down a bowl whilst Pete looked on appreciately. He just grinned as I ate.

Once we were done, he insisted on washing and was doing so. I went up to him, standing next to him, and just laid my head on his shoulder.

"I'm really sorry, P. I really shouldn't have said it to you in that manner."

Pete looked at me but didn't say anything . He just ruffled my head. Once he was done, he sent me to my room before he went to his.

Not once did he acknowledge my apology, but neither did he push me away, too.

And that got to me more than anything else so far.