Chapter 8 | Opportunities

Part 8

Anna had been honest to Jay about whether or not she had opportunities to stay after this job. Jay ended up saying he understood and that she shouldn't give up her life for him in New York.

He just didn't know that she didn't have anything to tie her to New York anymore. She could move today and she would be fine.

The worst thing was that she could actually see it. She could see the two staying together, taking this to the next level. She dared to say that she could see a future with him.

It had been months and Anna wanted to wrap this mission up. It was taking too long, she was going to hurt Jay with the ending of this.

She knew it, yet she couldn't bring herself to let him go now, before they would get even closer.

Anna sat under the bridge on the hood of her rented car and stared into nothing. She had been having the feeling of someone watching her lately, so this was a test.

Flashes of the explosion played in her mind, she clenched her eyes shut as the explosion happened all over again. While everyone was running away– she was running towards the explosion, for as long as the force allowed her before it blew her back.

She had been close enough to see her partner's face before he went up into smoke. He screamed, he screamed for her help.

The guilt settled in again. Her partner Nicholas Tyrrell had gone rogue on a case, Anna had tried to help him and when he finally let her, she tried to convince him to wait for backup when they tracked down the drug and sex trafficking cartel. Isaiah Demico's.

They were just two people against twenty, it was odds Anna hadn't believed in. So, she told him to wait, but Nicholas didn't listen to her.

Nicholas left two children and a wife of twenty years. Anna had been left to deal with the mess his death unleashed. They would no longer see her. Everyone blamed her.

So, she was the one who had to make things right, she had to take Isaiah and his entire gang down. No matter the cost.

After reliving the incident for too long, Anna felt numb, at the same time a car rolled up in front of her and she kept calm.

"Hank Voight" Anna acknowledged when he exited his car. "Anna Lorenzi" Hank said and stepped up to her. "Why have you been following me?" She asked straight to the point.

"I know that you're working undercover. I talked to your boss, but I don't trust a chief who sends one agent into the field alone" Hank said.

"I'm more than capable on my own" Anna insisted. "Even if I call up Jay Halstead right now?" Hank said and showed her his phone, Anna looked at the screen and saw Jay's number and name.

"You think I'm using him, but I'm not" Anna said, killing the suspicion about her and Jay. "I believe you, I've seen you two together. I think what you have is real, but you're lying to him" Hank said and put his hands in his pockets.

"Let this case go and disappear or let me in on whatever you're working on and I might not have to crush my best detective's heart" Hank said.

"Either way it ends with heartbreak, Hank. Does it not?" Anna asked knowingly. "I suppose it does" Hank admitted.

"What are you doing here, Anna?" Hank asked. "I'm working a case" Anna simply said, but he already knew she would say this.

"I've seen you at Isaiah Demico's clubs. Why are you there?" Hank asked. "It's classified" Anna said, showing no emotion.

"Nothing is classified when it's in my city" Hank said with a scoff. "And what did my boss tell you?" Anna asks and tilts her head.

"It's classified" Both Hank and Anna said in unison. "I won't leave a mess behind when I'm done, Hank. Don't worry" Anna assured him.