Chapter 14 | Sync

Part 14

"Okay, Bomb and Arson confirmed the bomb was wired to the mailbox door" Kim said. "It's possible someone saw the bomb being planted. Area Central and Patrol are canvassing the neighborhood. We're running PODs again, surveillance, but so far we've got nothing" Hailey spoke out.

"We know Eric Mitchell's not our bomber, we just watched him get blown up" Adam said and handed Kim pictures.

"What the hell are we looking at?" Jay blurted out, frustrated. "The son of a bitch led us there. He's screwing with us. He signed in using the name of his next target so we'd follow" Jay said.

"That's right. This is not an isolated incident. Okay? This could be the start of a bombing campaign. This guy's got an agenda" Hank said and turned to Al.

"Al right, what do we know about Eric Mitchell?" He asked. "Well, he worked in media for 15 years. Journalist at an entertainment magazine" Al said.

"There's no evidence of death threats against him, but that doesn't mean that it didn't happen over the phone or face to face. Bomb and Arson and Homicide are digging up more as we speak" Atwater said.

Just then Trudy walked up behind him. "Seriously, if one more person asks me if I'm okay, they are not gonna be okay. I just want to help" Trudy said as Kim was about to ask.

"And we'll take it" Hank said and gave Trudy a nod. "Bomb and Arson's got an update" Al said and put on his jacket.

"Okay so we're gonna go with what we got, okay?" Hank calls out. "The IDs of these two victims. We know they're both in the media. There's some connection between these two. There's a reason they were targeted. So, let's find the damn nexus before another bomb goes off. Come on, Trudy. I'll give you an update" Hank said and headed to his office with Trudy behind him.

After Al and Adam took a ride to the firestation 51, they had an update for everyone and gathered in Voight's office. "All right, you can't buy that kind of C-4 over the counter and the military keeps strict records on theft and storage" Al explained.

"Yeah, it had to be either stolen or bought on the black market" Anna said and crossed her arms. "I'm digging into that angle with ATF" Al said.

"Yeah, rest of the bomb components are gonna be hard to track. They're generic. Sold in hundreds of stores" Anna said.

"All right, where are we at with the connection?" Voight asked. "Nowhere. Eric and Sheri never worked together. They never reported on the same story. There's no evidence they really even knew each other" Jay said with a frown.

"Adam, your tip line sparked something, but we gotta move fast" Kevin came in and handed Voight a picture. "Somebody called in, identified the POD photos. Mark Tremon. Height, weight. Match everything the tech lab already told us about" Kevin said and Anna stood up.

"He worked security at the news station for two years, and he went to Illinois State the same time Eric Mitchell did. That's the Nexus between our victims, but that's not even the crazy part" Kevin explained.

"He's army, Sarge. Did a tour in Iraq. EOD" Kevin said and looked at both Anna and Jay who shared a look.

"Explosive Ordinance Disposal" Anna said and Jay nodded. "Huh" Voight muttered as he took the news in. "All right, did you do a round robin?" Voigt asked.

"Burgess and Upton are already headed to his house, but we need to move because the Internet is blowing him up. They already ID'd the photos. He gonna see us coming" Kevin said with urgency.

"I'll meet them there" Adam said and headed out. "Nice work" Voight called out. Anna, Jay and Al stayed in the bullpen as they waited for the team to bring in Mark.