Chapter 20 | Guilt

Part 20

Jay carried Anna in his arms with Voight behind him as easily thirty police cars pulled up to the empty building. "Give me an escort to Med!" Hank shouted.

"Hang on, Anna" Jay said as he got into the backseat with Anna on his lap as Hank raced off, police cars clearing the streets.

"How's it looking?" Hank shouted back to Jay. But he didn't answer, it didn't look good and he didn't want to voice it. Anna was drifting in and out of consciousness.

"Jay!" Hank shouted.

"Thank you" Anna whispered, Jay leaned his head against hers and exhaled a deep shaky breath. "Go faster!" Jay begged. "We're one minute out" Hank called out.

Before Jay knew it, Anna was taken from his arms and a small puddle of blood was on the seat and his clothes were stained from the blood.

"Will" Jay called out to his brother. Jay felt deja vu, he had been in this situation before with Anna, Will knew it as well. Jay didn't have to say anything else, Will took over.

This time the Intelligence team and Trudy walked up behind Jay backing him up. "She's gonna be okay" Hailey said and Jay silently watched them wheel her away.

"What happened to Harry? Is he in custody?" Trudy asked. "He's dead" Jay answered plainly. "Let's get you out of these clothes, man" Adam said and pushed Jay towards the toilets.

Kim and Hailey got Jay a new set of clothes and he changed into it. But he still felt stained with Anna's blood.

"Any news?" Severide asked as he came in, with the entire 51 firehouse. Everyone sat down with the detectives and officers in the waiting room.

"Nothing yet" Adam said. Jay was staring down at his hands, feeling them being stained with her blood, but he knew he had washed them fifteen times.

"She's gonna pull through, Jay. It's Anna, right?" Severide said as he went over to him to talk to him. "Yeah" Jay said, but his mind was screaming his worst fears at him.

"She was in bad shape, Severide" Jay said, doubt flashed across his face and Severide clenched his jaw. "She's gonna pull through, Halstead and then she will whoop your ass for doubting her" Severide said and Jay sighed.

He would love it if that was the case, but his fears spoke louder than her odds.

Hours went by and every first responder stayed in place, for Anna alone.

Finally Will came through the door and Jay jumped up immediately. "Is she okay?" Jay asked immediately, alarming everyone else in the waiting area. Everyone stood up and Will felt the pressure of delivering the news.

"She's stable for now, but she's not out of the woods, yet" Will said with a sigh. He hated that he couldn't give his brother anymore reassurance.

"Can we see her?" Voight asked. "No, it's too soon, she's too fragile. I almost lost her twice" Will said. "Give her a bit more time, we're monitoring her" Will said.

Will gave everyone a sad smile and as he turned on his heel, Jay followed him. "Room number" Jay demanded. "Jay...–""—Room number" Jay hissed.

"310"

Jay slipped out of the crowded waiting area and Will followed his brother to Anna's room. Jay opened the door and saw Anna hooked up to more machines than he could count.

Jay walked up to her side and gently took her hand in his. "You got this, Anna. I know it can be awful here, but give it another chance, okay?" Jay muttered to her.