Chapter 30 | Rangers

Part 30

Anna walked down the dark street until she turned up at a familiar apartment. Anna stood in front of the door for what seemed like forever before she lifted her hand and knocked.

Less than thirty seconds passed when the door opened. "Anna?" Jay's voice made her look up. Her anger from earlier raised to the surface and Anna clenched her jaw.

"We need to talk"

Jay stepped aside, letting her in. He was dressed in sweats and a CPD shirt. "I'm sorry for how I treat–""--No, let me rephrase that. I need to talk" Anna cut him off.

"You seem to get in the way of my love life every way I turn, so you wanted to know why I left you almost a year ago? I tried to find out why, why I felt so guilty, why I felt the need to run and hide" Anna snapped, jabbing her finger into Jay's chest.

Jay was quiet and let her talk, he was hoping her shouting at him was worth the information he was about to get. The answer he had been waiting for, for almost a year.

"Because I was so deeply, madly in love with you. I had fallen so damn hard for you, I had to leave! I had to protect you, I thought I was. I had to make it easier for you" Anna half shouted at him.

"I hurt you so deeply, and it scared the shit out of me– I was so blindly in love with you that it terrified me of the results of me having lived a double life with you. I lied to you, for so long" Anna was done ranting and realized how close they were, and took a step back.

"There's your answer! Goodnight!" Anna shouted and aimed for the door. "Hey! You can't just drop that bomb on me and then leave again–""--Watch me!" Anna scoffed and grabbed the door handle, but Jay hurriedly slammed his hand onto the door, blocking it.

"No, we're gonna talk this out" Jay disagreed and pushed himself between Anna and the door. "We don't need to talk it out. I got closure" Anna snapped.

"You got some nerve dropping this on me, I have begged you for that answer and you don't even want to hear my response to it?" Jay snapped.

"No"

"No?"

"Fine. What is your big response?" Anna shouted at him. Jay shocked her by pulling her closer by the back of her neck and crashed his lips onto hers. Anna kissed him back, feeling a magnetic pull, Anna pulled him closer by locking her arms around his neck.

Jay turned the two around and slammed Anna's back into the door.

-

The team caught a new case and everyone was gathered in the bullpen except Jay. Jay had been first on scene in a shootout and it all looked suspicious and corrupt.

"Let's go" Voight called out, the team rolled out to support Jay at the shootout. Anna's pulse was hammering in her neck, Antonio was holding onto the panic handle, with indeed much panic on his face.

Antonio looked back and forth between Anna's face and the cars she miraculously avoided to get to assist Jay. Antonio knew better than to say anything and trusted her to drive, even this maniacally.

"You okay?" Voight asked Jay once he made it out, Anna froze when she finally saw him and exhaled deeply in relief.

"Yeah, offenders are in the wind. The way this went down, there's gotta be more than one of them, 'cause he couldn't have got behind me that fast" Jay said and Anna overheard it.

"How many victims?"

"One, her name was Theresa Mattel. She was a student at Central Chicago University. Sarge, the offender fired three rounds. Two center mass, one head tap" Jay said as they walked up to Anna, Hailey and Kim.