Chapter 24 | Fishing

Part 24

Zach had driven Anna back to her car in the morning, though she had told him not to. But he was insisting, so he won. Anna and Zach kissed each other goodbye, Anna smiled, she did like Zach and he was amazing in bed.

The two split ways and Anna went home to get changed and showered, she had ten minutes to get to the district. So she hurried and ran up the stairs. "Morning Detective Sunshine" Trudy retorted, smirking when she saw Anna rushing.

"Morning Sarge" Anna shouted and climbed the stairs in a hurry. She made it up to the bullpen and sat down at her desk, breathless and just a second after Hank walked in.

After a while Anna and Hailey decided to get coffee. "You need to tell me everything about hazmat Zach" Hailey told her once they walked out of the district.

"Well, we slept together, obviously. He's gonna take me out tonight" Anna said and Hailey cheered. "Well done" She said and Anna laughed.

"I get a well done for getting laid? Awesome" Anna retorted as she got into the car. Shortly after the team caught a new case. So Hailey raced her and Anna to the scene.

-

"These yacht club guys claim they took their boat out to fish, casting their nets for live bait. Nearly fell overboard when they pulled this in" An officer said and showed the team a cut off head. Anna grimaced and turned away, that head had been in the river for a while.

"I'm thinking unnatural causes" Voight said. "That's why I called you. We get floaters every few months but not like this"

"Look at that. Looks like a small caliber entry wound. She's still got her teeth. We should upload them to ViCAP, see if we can ID her from her dental records" Hailey said.

"If we want any real shot at ID'ing her, we're gonna need the rest of the body. They got GPS?" Voight asked.

"They got a lot more than that"

"Let's retrace their path" Anna said. The three went on a boat and searched as the divers were in the waters. An hour passed before they heard anything. "Diver One just located an object on the bottom"

The body of the woman resurfaced with the divers and Anna sighed. "Damn"

-

Anna and Jay went to the morgue to find out more about the body. "Good news. Both head and body belong to the same person"

"Was there any doubt?" Jay asked. "The pieces they pull from the Chicago River, you never know," The coroner said.

"Was early twenties. The water decomps are though to pinpoint"

"Ballpark time of death?" Anna asked. "Best guess, your victim died a week ago from strangulation as indicated by the fractured hyoid in the victim's neck"

"These holes aren't gunshot wounds," Jay said. "You're right. They were made by a power drill. Whoever killed this girl knew what they were doing. They drilled holes to the body would sink"

"Just get us something. Anything we can use to ID her" Anna said in shock. Jay put his hand on Anna's lower back when they walked out, as a sign of support.

-

Voight got an address for the who might've done this to the woman in the lake. So Jay, Anna and Adam was sent out to sweep the house.

Adam opened the door with a halligan and both Jay and Anna stood ready with their guns. Jay went in first and Anna kept her distance to Jay, allowing her to check out her own perimeter.