Chapter 10 | Moving On

Part 10

The shots that were fired was in honor of the fallen agent. The case was now closed. Everyone raised their arms, saluting the fallen.

Chief Larsen spoke lovingly about Anna's partner Nicholas Tyrrell, Anna had tears in her eyes, when she looked at the sky when her boss spoke.

Oh so badly, she had wished she had gotten peace. Three months ago, everything had turned to shit. Anna almost died and when she was stabilized at Chicago Med— she ran like her ass was on fire.

She went back to New York and recovered on her own. She handed in her resignation, she was done as a CIA agent.

Nicholas' wife and kids were at the ceremony, Anna had gotten the revenge everyone needed. Though it felt like Anna had lost a part of herself.

She was drinking her sorrows away, she was partying and drank some more. She hadn't been sober since her near death.

She had thrown away her phone, crushed it to pieces. She cut all forms of contact.

Which is why Hank Voight was at the ceremony, in the back. He eyed the shell of the woman she used to be, he knew she wasn't doing well.

Hank followed Anna when the ceremony was over, she was embraced with a hug by Nicholas' wife and the children. Hank noticed Anna didn't hug them back, not because she didn't want to, but because she was lost.

Hank knew the look in her eyes.

Which is why he followed her from the ceremony, to the liquor store, to her apartment. Anna knew someone was following her, she had a plan, but she honestly didn't care if anyone wanted to kill her.

Anna left the door open and threw her uniform hat on the floor, she yanked her jacket off, pulled her white button up shirt from her pants and opened the first few buttons.

Then she threw herself in her chair and flicked the cap of the bottle of vodka and held her gun lazily in her other hand as she took a swig of the bottle.

Hank walked in and saw Anna sitting there, with a void look on her face.

"Anna" Hank acknowledged and sent her a nod. She scoffed and let go of the gun, letting it clatter on the floor and then she took another swig of the bottle.

"What do you want?" Anna carelessly asked. "I'm here to make you an offer" Hank said and walked closer to her, sitting on the opposite chair of her.

"You have nothing I want," Anna said with a scoff. "I have Jay. I have Chicago, I have the Intelligence team" Hank said.

The mention of Jay made Anna take another swig of the alcohol. "As I said you have nothing that I want" Anna said, but the change in her tone told Voight everything he needed to know.

"Anna, you're destroying yourself, you're good police. You have a bright future ahead of you, which is why I'm offering you a place to do it" Hank said, leaning forward on his knees.

"In Chicago, on my team" Hank said, Anna narrowed her eyes as she continued to drink. "You have a future in Chicago, what you achieved there, it impressed me and I've seen lots of things in the years" Hank said.

Anna stared at him.

"I know you took a Detective exam years ago, I want you on my team Anna. I will find you a good house, I got a good job for you, the rest is up to you. Take this chance or drink your life away and turn into a junkie, it's your choice" Hank said.

"But just know, that if you let me help you, you're gonna have a team behind you" Hank said. "Thanks for your time, Sergeant" Anna retorted in a hoarse voice and smiled cockily at him.