Chapter 16 | Undercover

Part 16

Kevin was undercover with a gang, Malik and his brother Shabazz, who Kevin was working. Anna was settled in the bar and pretended to be a drunk mess.

"Got eyes on Atwater. He's headed towards the back room" Anna said in the radio, she shared a look with Adam before looking away unbothered.

Jay was in there, playing pool in the back room. Anna's nerves were on the line, something about this undercover case was bothering her.

Soon enough Anna and Adam were able to hear the conversation in the backroom. Shortly after conversing the guys started to get pushy with each other.

"Sarge, we got action in the back room" Anna said over the comms once she heard the commotion. Both her and Adam were ready to step in.

"Just stand down. No one said the safe word, let Atwater and Halstead handle it" Voight ordered. Anna bit the inside of her cheek and sighed in frustration.

Atwater pulled out Malik and Shabazz and Anna watched them leave. Adam walked out a few minutes after to back up Atwater while Anna waited for Jay to leave, as told.

A half hour passed and Jay finally left, his eyes locked with Anna's as he passed her and she turned away. Not letting anyone see their silent confirmations to move out.

Anna ditched her drink and left shortly after Jay. All of the team made it back to the bullpen, where they settled down until Atwater came in.

"Jay! What the hell is going on, man?" Atwater called out, clearly unhappy with how things went down. "We came to make a deal. What they playin' games for?" Kevin asked.

"Hold up, man! It was a go on our side, too, all right? Get your boy in line!" Jay retorted.

"Really dawg?" Atwater retorted. "Hey, your guys have the guns, right?" Anna called out, creating silence between the two.

"The gun that Nate pulled was definitely an M4, that much I know. I don't know how many they actually have, though" Jay said and looked at Anna and Hailey.

"All right, so were these guys being careful, or were they just trying to buy time 'cause they don't have the guns in their possession?" Hailey said.

"It's unclear. Dexter plays everything close to the vest" Jay said. "okay, so let's keep this thing alive. All right? Jay, Kevin, you stay under. Try to make this gun deal happen. 'Kay? We have gotta get these M4s off the street. They're too powerful" Voight said.

Both Jay and Kevin backed down and fist bumped before letting the momentary argument die. "Let's go" Kevin said.

Then as the team was about to spread out, Trudy walked up the stairs with two people behind her. With badges.

"What the hell do you want? hmm?" Voight retorted. Anna's eyes traveled to Al who sat quietly by his desk. The two walked past Voight and approached Al.

"Bad news, Al. Grand jury voted to indict. You're under arrest for the murder of Kevin Bingham. Stand up" The woman said.

"We're gonna need your weapon and badge" The man said. Anna shook her head a little in disbelief and everyone remained in their places, not giving the two space to take Alvin away.

"Are you kidding me? handcuffs? He's got 30 years on the job" Voight argued. "Weapon and badge now"

The team watched as Al was taken out of the bullpen and Anna felt Jay up behind her. Watching as well, Anna felt conflicted, she had no idea what was going on, if there was truth to the supposed murder that Al had done.