Chapter 27

The Emperor appeared before Bahamut, who loomed over him like an elephant facing an ant. Without any greeting, the Emperor stated, "It's sad that you are leaving us so soon." Bahamut looked down at the aging Emperor, who seemed much older than the last time they had met. In response, Bahamut reminded him, "We still have three more years of our agreement."

The Emperor, however, tried to convince Bahamut to leave sooner by offering compensation in gold. This display of desperation and weakness did not sit well with Bahamut. Growling, he warned, "Watch your words." The atmosphere at the event turned tense, with guards standing in defense of the Emperor and the old general stepping forward to mediate. He attempted to explain the Emperor's health issues but was interrupted by the Emperor, who accused him of treachery and disrespect.

Before the situation could escalate further, Bahamut unleashed a thunderous roar that silenced the entire gathering. He declared, "We are leaving, as you wish." With that, Bahamut took to the sky, unable to contain his anger any longer.

If Bahamut had stayed any longer, his anger might have led to him burning the Emperor and anyone who stood in his way, potentially ruining the entire situation. The Emperor's disrespectful words visibly angered both Aegon and Rhaenys. They had never witnessed such insolence toward Bahamut and raised a substantial commotion, leading to the formation of two factions: the Emperor's faction and the Black Dragon faction.

Before this internal conflict could escalate into a full-blown war, Bahamut announced his plan to leave Yi Ti. Aegon and Rhaenys questioned him about why he had let the Emperor's behavior go unchecked. Bahamut responded calmly, "It's time to return." His decision was final, and he had his reasons for not responding to the Emperor's provocation.

Ravens were dispatched to various corners of Yi Ti to gather Bahamut's men, including his former allies and friends from the war. After a month, over 300,000 people had congregated in Yin City, making Bahamut's departure a significant event for all of Yi Ti.

Some of Bahamut's men chose to stay behind, as they had families and had grown deeply attached to their land. Others showed great interest in following Bahamut and remained steadfast in their loyalty to him. More than ten great generals, including Elia's husband and Rhaenys husband's father, decided to follow Bahamut, as they refused to serve the hopeless Emperor. That day, they swore their unconditional loyalty to Bahamut, even though he was a monstrous being. They anticipated another war as warlords themselves and were aware of Bahamut's choices for Rhaenys and Aegon. They understood that they were headed for a battle and wished to die on the battlefield with honor, as honor was more highly regarded than life in their culture.

Over 20,000 large ships set sail from the Yin port city. Before Bahamut's departure, the Emperor sent 100 chests filled with gold, jewelry, and some Valyrian steel swords to Bahamut. Bahamut felt slighted by the message that accompanied this gift: "I don't owe you anything." Despite the insult, Bahamut endured.

When all the ships had sailed far from the capital city, a massive shadow loomed above the Emperor's palace one night. The Emperor, along with his remaining pitiful generals and the former Chancellor who had assumed the position after Bahamut's departure, were celebrating the dragon's absence, believing that they now had complete authority over the land. However, their jubilation was short-lived, as a torrent of black flames poured down upon the palace. The intense heat melted the entire castle, including the gold roof, engulfing the Emperor and his followers in molten gold, along with the women who had served them.