Chapter 30

Astapor lay in ruins, reduced to ashes by the mighty flames of the dragons. As the freed slaves made their way back to their homes, Bahamut requested that the orphaned children be taken under their care.

Outside the remnants of Astapor, the Unsullied gathered, their faces marked by a newfound sense of freedom. Rhaenys stood amidst them, addressing the warriors, "Unsullied! You have been slaves all your lives. Today, I give you freedom. Any man who wishes to leave may do so, and no one will harm him. I give you my word."

A solemn hush followed her words, with not a single Unsullied choosing to depart.

"Or will you fight for me? As free men?" Rhaenys inquired, her voice carrying a mix of determination and hope. In response, the Unsullied struck their spears against the ground in perfect unison, a resounding declaration of their unwavering commitment to fight for her as free individuals. They didn't see it as servitude, but as an allegiance to a leader they believed in. With this, Rhaenys now possessed her own formidable army, independent of her brother or her husband.

Bahamut and his forces departed from the smoldering ruins of Astapor, leaving the city in desolation. Some of the generals expressed their discontent about not being allowed to participate in the violent chaos, but Aegon assured them that a greater purpose awaited them.

Bahamut, considering the idea of finding Daenerys, realized it wouldn't be an easy task. Instead, he pressed on towards Dragonstone. In Westeros, Robert had met a fate similar to his previous one, perishing in a hunting accident. This time, however, he hadn't harbored the same delusions of challenging the Targaryens with dragons. In this world, Ned Stark still stood as the Hand of the King, overseeing the Seven Kingdoms.

During the four-month journey to Dragonstone, Rhaenys took the time to understand the Unsullied better. She instituted a daily custom of giving the Unsullied new names. Many of those born free chose to reclaim their original names, if they remembered them, while others selected names from heroes, gods, or even items like weapons, gems, and flowers. This led to some rather unusual names among the soldiers.

Grey Worm, who had been much younger when he met Daenerys, decided to retain his name, explaining, "It is a lucky name. The name this one was born to was accursed. That was the name he had when he was taken for a slave. But Grey Worm is the name this one drew the day Rhaenys Targaryen set him free."

Rhaenys, moved by Grey Worm's words, responded, "But still, it's a name given to a slave. My men are free, and he is no longer a slave. He is no longer bare the name of slave." On that day, Rhaenys herself gave him the name Ragnar.

As Dragonstone and its castle finally came into view after their long journey, Rhaenys felt her blood stir with excitement. However, Aegon had a different reaction, commenting, "Never thought this place would look like shit." making Rhaeny's slap Aegon's head.

If Bahamut had heard his words, he might have had a good laugh. After all, as a person who had spent his life in Yi Ti and lacked any sentimental attachment to his birthplace, anyone who didn't find their homeland to their liking would likely share Aegon's sentiment.