Chapter 40

Bahamut's piercing gaze fell upon Stannis Baratheon as he stood among the prisoners, brought forward by the soldiers. Observing Stannis, Bahamut's interest piqued, and with a nudge from the soldiers, Stannis was pushed forward to face the colossal dragon.

Stannis met Bahamut's eyes, his voice silenced by the gravity of the moment. Bahamut finally broke the silence, speaking with a tone of authority, "Your father, Steffon Baratheon, was always loyal to House Targaryen, unlike you and your brothers. Is there anything else you wish to say before your judgment?"

Stannis, wearing a defeated expression, found his voice, "Can you spare my wife and daughter, Lord?"

However, instead of granting his request, Bahamut commanded, "Bring them here," sending a shiver of fear through Stannis. Bahamut continued, "Showing too much kindness to my enemy is a luxury. Are you my enemy?"

Stannis struggled to find the right words, his resolve wavering. "I'm willing to swear my loyalty to you, my Lord," he uttered, sinking to his knees without hesitation.

Bahamut pressed further, "You and your brother betrayed the realm over a woman who never loved him, accused the innocent, and murdered the heir to the Iron Throne. Do you still wish to swear loyalty?"

Stannis, still on his knees and looking down, responded which is different from what Bahamut asked for, "I'm a man who knows what I am, and I remain true to myself. I will never betray my Lord."

Bahamut, undeterred, continued to question, "Yet you still betrayed your king."

Stannis, resolute, explained, "I was loyal only to the Lord of the Stormlands, my brother, not the Iron Throne. Now I have no lord or his descendant to serve."

Stannis's words surprised Bahamut, who then stated, "Then I can give you a gift as a reminder that you must serve me loyally and a punishment to ensure your new lord won't always be lenient. If you are willing."

Addressing his soldiers, Bahamut ordered, "Remove his left thumb." A soldier stepped forward with a knife and severed Stannis's thumb. Stannis bore the pain without resistance, gripping his half-finger to staunch the bleeding, his gaze fixed on Bahamut.

Bahamut declared, "Good. It's time for your gift.".

In that tense moment, soldiers brought forward Shireen and Selyse Florent, the daughter and wife of Stannis Baratheon. Shireen, witnessing her father bleeding, couldn't hold back her tears and broke free from the soldier's grasp. She rushed toward her kneeling father, who was holding his severed thumb. However, Selyse remained restrained by the soldiers, unable to come closer to her husband and daughter.

Stannis, feeling utterly helpless, gazed at his daughter and wife, overwhelmed by his own despair. He turned his eyes to Bahamut, seeking a glimmer of hope from the dragon lord, though he knew he was powerless before this mighty creature who could lead a vast army even in his beastly form. Stannis's only hope was that his Lord would show mercy to his family, a plea that could keep him loyal and dutiful.

Then, unexpectedly, Bahamut's voice broke the silence, saying, "Bring that girl closer to me." Stannis felt a sinking feeling, fearing the worst. He made a feeble attempt to resist the soldiers who were approaching, but Bahamut reassured him, "You don't have to worry; I won't harm a child unless I have no choice."

With great effort, Stannis loosened his grip on Shireen, allowing her to move forward towards Bahamut, her teary eyes reflecting both fear and fascination. Shireen, who had always held a deep love for dragons, was not prepared for this turn of events. As she drew closer to Bahamut, he instructed, "Shireen, place your hand on me."

Bahamut lowered his massive head, and Shireen, with trembling hands, touched the ancient dragon. Almost immediately, Shireen began to scream in agony. Witnessing his daughter's suffering, Stannis attempted to rush forward to save her, only to be forcefully kicked aside by Old general.

Then, Rhaenys approached Bahamut, gently cradling the unconscious Shireen in her arms. Rhaenys, understanding Bahamut's intentions, knew that he was removing the curse that afflicted Shireen, dreadful greyscale. She held Shireen, who was now free of the affliction, and approached Stannis to allow him to see the miraculous change.

Stannis, his heart heavy with emotion, noticed Shireen's face, now free of any trace of greyscale. Even in his weakened state, after the powerful kick from the old general standing nearby, Stannis understood the true meaning of Bahamut's gift. It was no longer a surprise to him that Bahamut possessed the power to accomplish the seemingly impossible. With gratitude in his heart, Stannis kowtowed before Bahamut as a symbol of his immense appreciation and submission.