Chapter 46

Aemon found himself in a state of surprise upon discovering that another member of his family resided among the Night's Watch. However, for Jon, the revelation proved to be a bitter pill to swallow. His entire life had been shaped by the belief that he was a Stark bastard, and the idea that Eddard Stark, an honorable man, had lied to him seemed inconceivable.

Amidst Jon's internal turmoil, Bahamut's words cut through his thoughts. "Little Aemon, you are not a bastard of Stark. It's just a façade your uncle made to protect you as a Stark. You should be thankful to him." The dragon's words jolted Jon from his contemplation.

Bahamut then posed a question, breaking the weighty silence. "Are you willing to come with me to King's Landing?" Meanwhile, Maester Aemon, with a sigh, addressed the dragon, seeking clarification on how to address him. Bahamut responded simply, "Bahamut."

Expressing his commitment to his Night's Watch vows, Aemon said, "Lord Bahamut, I have a vow to keep until my last breath as a man of the Night's Watch. I hope you forgive this fragile old man." Turning his gaze to Jon, Bahamut patiently awaited his response.

Jon, unwilling to meet Bahamut's eyes, spoke firmly, "Lord Bahamut, I'm a man of the Night's Watch. I vow to live and die as a man of the Night's Watch. Forgive me." Bahamut, observing Jon's steadfastness, remarked on the stubbornness inherent in the blood of Stark and Targaryen.
Addressing Jon directly, Bahamut asserted, "You really do have the blood of Stark—the stubbornness of this level. No one dares to raise a sword in my presence; why do you bother to leave the Watch? You are blood of the dragon, not one bound by anything but the one who binds others. You are a shame for a dragon to take such a vow at a young age."

Jon, looking at Bahamut, expressed his gratitude for finally knowing his true lineage. Bahamut lowered his head towards Jon, creating a moment of anticipation. Suddenly, a hot sensation occurred on Jon's shoulder—a sigil mark of House Targaryen appeared. Bahamut declared, "When you rise again, I will take you back with me. Until then, continue to be an idiot."

Confused by the appearance of the Targaryen sigil, Jon gazed at Bahamut. it was a tracker, ensuring Bahamut could locate him when he ventured beyond the Wall. Before leaving, Maester Aemon, fueled by curiosity, asked about the rarity of talking dragons. As Bahamut took to the air, he responded, "Because I'm the King of Dragons." And with that proclamation, the dragon left.
In the aftermath of Bahamut's departure from Castle Black, a crucial detail slipped through the cracks—communication with Jeor Mormont, the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Perhaps Bahamut's annoyance, fueled by Jon's words, caused this oversight. While Lords from different lands received summons to Kings Landing, prompted by the fear of facing the dragon's wrath if they ignored the call.

However, some Lords chose not to respond, with those from the Vale and Westerlands knowing their fate—death awaited them, whether they answered the summon or not. The Vale's decision, in particular, was influenced by the unwavering stance of their stubborn sick lady.
As the news spread, Eddard Stark moved swiftly towards Kings Landing, where he faced protests from his family and loyalists. The murmurs calmed as they learned more about the unfolding events, realizing the dire consequences of resisting House Targaryen. Despite the losses suffered in the war against the Targaryen in the past, they decided to follow Eddard Stark's decision, respecting him as their Lord.

In Dorne, the Lord Paramount, along with his brother and family, journeyed to Kings Landing to reunite with their sister and her family. Meanwhile, Lord Balon Greyjoy of the Iron Islands grappled with the decision to answer Aegon's summon. The news of five dragons and more than 20,000 battleships troubled him, threatening the Iron Islands' reputation as the largest fleet in Westeros.
Renly Baratheon faced a similar dilemma, uncertain of whether he would be pardoned for his actions, considering his brother's fate. The thought of fleeing to Essos crossed his mind, contemplating whether resistance was futile.

House Tully found themselves torn about answering Aegon's call, unsure if it was the right decision. House Tyrell, on the other hand, from the Reach, marched towards Kings Landing, intending to pledge loyalty to Aegon. Rumors circulated of a proposed marriage between a young Tyrell lady and Aegon Targaryen, a strategic move to solidify their allegiance. The intricate web of alliances, doubts, and decisions set the stage for a complex political landscape in the wake of Bahamut's presence in Westeros.