Chapter 41

In Bahamut's eyes, Stannis was no different from the honorable Eddard Stark. Though they were different kinds of fools, they shared a common trait: virtue. Stannis had gone a step too far by declaring, "If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark... Sacrifice... is never easy." He had not only spoken those words but had also acted upon them. The ability to prioritize duty above all else was a rare and valuable quality.

Bahamut recognized that if handled wisely, Stannis could be a valuable piece in the treacherous game of thrones, much like a skilled chess player uses their pieces on the board.

Bahamut, after instructing his men to attend to Stannis's wound, turned his attention to Eddard Stark, the Lord of Winterfell and a descendant of the First Men. Stark, fully aware of the gravity of the situation, braced himself for what lay ahead. He couldn't foresee the outcome of Bahamut's judgment for him and his daughters. His earlier encounter with Rhaenys Targaryen had left him with the impression that escaping death was unlikely, unless the dragon lord had different plans in mind.

With a somber tone, Bahamut began, "Lord of Winterfell, blood of the First Men, Eddard Stark, you should be aware of why you are here." Eddard replied with a lowered head, "I do." As Bahamut seemed on the verge of pronouncing a death sentence, Eddard closed his eyes, preparing for the worst.

However, Bahamut's next words left Eddard stunned, "Eddard Stark, a descendant of the First Men, by my authority as Bahamut Draconis Rexarion, you are hereby granted a pardon, absolving you of all charges and crimes brought against you." Eddard's eyes shot open in bewilderment, as he had never anticipated such a turn of events.

Bahamut continued, "You can leave, Eddard Stark, with your descendants. I hope you will uphold the oath your ancestors swore of eternal loyalty. If you are willing, I propose a betrothal between Aegon and Sansa. But only if you are willing." Aegon found it hard to believe what Bahamut was suggesting.

Rhaenys, unable to contain her anger, interjected, "Lord Bahamut, he is a traitor. He deserves death." Bahamut's voice thundered, causing Rhaenys to step back, "The one who betrayed you and your family is your father, not him. He has suffered greatly due to your father's actions, losing his brother, father, and sister, and even facing threats to his own life. At the very least, you should be grateful to him for protecting your half-brother all this time."

Elia, perplexed, sought clarification, "Half-brother?" Bahamut then revealed the shocking truth, "You are correct. Aemon Targaryen, the legitimate son of Rhaegar and Lyanna." They all turned their astonished gazes towards Eddard, struggling to comprehend the revelation, while Eddard himself remained in a state of disbelief, unable to fathom how this dragon knew about his nephew.

Rhaenys, consumed by anger, could no longer restrain her emotions and walked away from the gathered crowd. Elia, clearly worried, followed closely behind, concerned for Rhaenys's well-being. For Rhaenys, revenge had been the driving force behind her return to Westeros, seeking retribution against those who had caused her family's suffering and humiliation, and against those who had taken her father's life. She recognized Bahamut's role in every action, yet she found it challenging to reconcile herself with his choices.