Chapter 4

"New Presidency"

J

ENNIE'S POV

The traffic in Seoul was never easy, I had the feeling that that place had more cars than people. We were behind a huge row of cars, where stressed people honked continuously. We had exactly 15 minutes to get to the office, today for some reason it was requested for us to be punctual. From the last heard murmurs, a new presidency would be presented, and I thanked God for it, because having to put up with that old man as the boss was at least boring. Of course we had no idea who would occupy his position, but I didn't believe that it could be worse.
Hyunji was looking attentively for any open space somewhere, so we could drive out of there. Nayeon just read her reports on the back seat.
"This place looks like hell today." Hyunji said, her voice sounded somewhat angry.
"Hyunji, do not say that name, please." Nayeon scolded her, making me stifle a laugh because of the face that Hyunji made.
We met Nayeon as soon as we started working at Manobal, she already occupied an assistant position in the advertising department. We got along well since the first day, so well that after a few months we decided to rent an apartment in downtown Seoul. Nayeon was a small town girl, extremely religious, but she was such a sweet and comprehensive being. She knew about the second life me and Hyunji had, but she never said anything, on the contrary, she always supported us.
After 10 minutes without moving, we were able to move a few blocks thanks to Hyunji's great skills at the wheel. We hurried up, entering the building before someone noticed our delay. Everyone was euphoric and nervous, the news of the new presidency was at least polemical.
"Is it my impression or is everyone restless?" Nayeon asked, putting her things on her desk.
"It's not your impression, Nayeon, everyone is nervous."
"I don't know why, I'm the one who will have to deal with the new beast every day." I said, somewhat bothered.
"Yeah Jennie, you were the chosen one." Nayeon said smiling.
"I heard it was a woman, somewhat arrogant."
"God, I really hope not! It's enough having to endure that old man for years."
"Yeah, he's really disgusting."
We talked for a few more minutes, when Kai knocked on the door, calling us.
"Girls, it's time. We're going to meet our new master." He said laughing
"I prayed a lot for whoever it is, to be someone good, Jen." Nayeon said with a shy smile.
"I hope God heard you, Nayeon."
We walked to the conference room, where the administrative sector was in full strength. Everyone was whispering among each other. That was annoying, working in that place was like being in the jungle every day, because people swallowed and killed each other like animals for power. Obviously in the figurative sense of the thing.
"I hate to be in the same place as these people. The financial sector thinks they're the kings of the whole place." Hyunji rolled her eyes.
"Hey! I'm from the financial sector!" Kai grumbled.
"Everyone but you, Kai." I said smiling.
Kim Jongin was the supervisor of the financial sector. Ever since the first day I started working here, I've received his insistent advances, which by the way, are not reciprocated. I never treated him badly, because he didn't dare cross the line with me, but it was at least bothersome to have to decline him so many times, but he didn't seem to care. I could even consider the possibility of giving him a chance, but only when I thought I was ready to get involved with someone.
"Thank you, Jen. You look beautiful today." He said smiling.
"Thank you." I smiled back.
I looked at Hyunji who scrunched up her brows with a face that said 'Ugh, don't make me throw up'. I smiled, running my hand down her arm, and she smiled back. We heard the sound of the door opening, and then we saw Mr. Wang, the old man who flirted with me every morning, enter the room. The murmurs gradually ceased until the room was in full silence.
"Good Morning, Ladies and Gentlemen, I think you all know the reason for this meeting, am I right? I must tell you that I'm retiring from the director position of Manobal Industry. I think that I've completed my cycle of work in this company very successfully, and I'd like to thank you all who worked side by side with me and made this very important heritage to Seoul grow, but like I said, I'm ending this cycle to give way to a new generation."
"It's about time, I don't want to be bossed around by an old man for the rest of my life." I heard Hyunji whisper, making me stifle a laugh.
"Hyunji..." I scolded her.
"... so I present you the new director, a very competent and well-known woman, capable of taking our company to a new level. Meet Lisa Manobal."
I heard Mr. Wang's voice in the background, and I took my eyes off Hyunji, who was complaining, to look at the center of the room, where my boss was, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
I felt all the blood in my body stop, I couldn't breathe, and all I could hear was my heartbeat in my ears. It was her, Lisa Manobal was the woman for whom I danced last night.
Hyunji stared at me, with a startled look, and then she held my arm, preventing me from falling. "What's going on, Jen?" I heard her whisper.
I was a little out of breath, my eyes were wide, focused on the beautiful woman who was standing next to Mr. Wang. She was wearing a tight black formal skirt that reached just above her knees and a black blazer that made her look extremely attractive. Her hair was tied in an elegant ponytail. And just like last night, her makeup was light, but highlighted her as green as emerald eyes, and her instigating lips. She had a serious, authoritative posture, and somewhat mysterious. I backed away a few steps until I got out of that room.
I leaned against the wall, pulling as much air as possible into my lungs, until I saw Hyunji by my side.
"Can you tell me what happened?" She asked with a worried voice tone.
"It's her, Hyunji! The woman..." I said nervously.
She looked at me like I was crazy. "What woman, Jennie?"
"From the club, the woman for whom I danced last night! Lisa Manobal, my new boss."
"What?! Oh my God, you're fucked." She said, shocked.
"I know, this couldn't be worse... With so many people in this world, she had to be the one to be my boss? Oh my God, she will notice that I'm Ruby Jane, she's going to fire me, I'm screwed, Hyunji!" I exclaimed, freaking out.
"Calm down, Jennie!" She said, grabbing my shoulders. "She won't find out, let's think positive! Jennie has nothing to do with Ruby Jane, at least in the way of being and in the way of dressing."
"She's going to find out and I'm going to lose my job, Hyunji!"
"She won't! She won't. And even if she does, she has nothing to do with your life outside this place."
I shook my head, pacing back and forth nonstop.
"What's going on? Why did you leave the room?" I heard Nayeon whisper.
"Jennie's having a panic attack here." Hyunji said, agonized.
Nayeon looked at me, worried, and she approached me, stroking my back.
"What's going on, Jen? You're as white as a sheet! Grab a glass of water for her, Hyunji."
I saw Hyunji leave to go get the glass of water.
"Tell me, what's going on?" Nayeon asked again with a worried expression.
"You know the woman that we were talking about at breakfast, the one for whom I danced in a sensual way yesterday?" Nayeon nodded, tucking some strands of my hair behind my ear. "It's her, Lisa Manobal, our new boss."
I saw Nayeon's eyes widen, and a sudden 'Jesus Christ' leave her mouth.
"What if she finds out who I am, Nayeon? I'm going to lose my job, that would be the end."
The small girl pulled me into a loving embrace, comforting me, until Hyunji showed up with a glass of water. I drank all the transparent liquid and tried to calm down.
"Let's think positive, girls. Lisa must've drunk last night, for sure, and even if she didn't, Jen, your other side has nothing of you during the day." Nayeon said calmly. "Ruby Jane and Jennie are totally different people, at least in my view."
"Who would've thought that this woman frequents striptease clubs." Hyunji said laughing.
"You're right, Nayeon. I'll be careful so she doesn't find anything."
"It would be nice if you didn't start having panic attacks every time you see her around."
"Great idea." I smiled weakly.
The three of us stayed talking near the central desk, until we saw everyone leaving the conference room. The presentation was probably already over.
"Well, girls, let's go to our offices." Hyunji said, getting up.
Nayeon nodded and left my side, where she was.
"Wish me luck, girls."
The two of them looked at me fondly, I knew I could count on Hyunji and Nayeon at all times, they would never let me fall. We exchanged a hug, and then we went to our desks. It was evident that I couldn't hide from that woman forever, after all, I was her right arm inside the company. The panic of being discovered by her abused my mind in such a rude way that I could feel my hands sweating and feel a mild discomfort in the stomach with every step I took towards her office.
I went up to the top floor, where her office was, and I walked to my desk that was on the outside. She was already inside, probably talking to Mr. Wang. Minutes later, I saw the man leave her office, and then he looked at me.
"Oh, Jennie, come here, let me introduce you to your new boss." He said smiling, extending his hand to me.
I closed my eyes for a split second, which was enough for me to create a thousand and one situations for that moment, and I guarantee you that none of them were pleasant. I got up from my desk with a weak smile. The man looked at me from head to toe, like he did every morning. I was wearing a turquoise blue dress that was tight on my body, but in a formal and elegant way. My hair was straight, and tied only in a part, letting the rest fall on my back.
I walked into the office, feeling my heart beat in my ears, it was agonizing. I looked at the floor, until I stopped in front of the huge expensive wood desk. I looked up and stared at her.
God, she was beautiful. Lisa Manobal was a woman worthy of being in the cover of a magazine. Now up close, I could see in more detail her strong, and at the same time, delicate features. She was staring at me quietly, but the same wasn't happening with me.
She's going to find out about me, God, don't let it happen, I thought to myself.
"Lisa, meet your right arm here in the company, she'll help you with everything you need." The man said, introducing me. "Well, I'll leave you alone, I hope you get along."
Mr. Wang left faster than I thought, now I was there, alone with her.
She was staring at me in an evaluative way, and I felt uneasy under her gaze. She got up, fixing her expensive blazer, to then walk towards me, making my heart race.
"What's your name, Ms.?" She asked politely.
Lisa had a beautiful voice.
"My name's Jennie Kim."
"Nice to meet you, Ms. Kim, you probably already know, but my name's Lisa Manobal." She said, extending her hand in a polite greeting.
I shook her soft hand for a few seconds, feeling sorry for her because my hand was sweating due to how nervous I was.
"Nice t-to mee-meet you." I stuttered.
She looked at me in a funny way, frowning in a confused expression. "Are you feeling okay? You look pale, do you want to sit down?" She asked, pulling up a chair. "I can get you a glass of water if you prefer."
"I'm fine, ma'am, it's just a discomfort. But don't worry."
She nodded, but still handed me a glass of water.
"People feel uneasy when talking to me, but none of them ever came close to passing out when meeting me, Ms. Kim." She said seriously.
"I'm so sorry, Ms. Manobal, that wasn't in my plans."
"Do you feel well enough to work today?"
I nodded quickly, leaving the glass of water on her desk.
"Great, then let's start. You're going to be my partner here, and for that, we have to know each other well." She said, sitting on her chair.
Lisa, or Ms. Manobal like I called her, explained perfectly well how she liked to work, and I realized that she was a woman who was very focused on her work, she didn't like intimacy with employees, and she was somewhat reserved. I lost myself amid her explanations several times because I was more focused admiring her extraordinary beauty. That woman was sculptured by angels, there was no other explanation. Her gaze was intense, but it was different from her gaze from last night, now her iris were a mesmerizing light green. Her authoritative posture made her look so sexy and attractive that I wondered how many people must fall on her feet every day. From the way she watched me dance last night, I could be almost certain that Lisa Manobal was gay, but I wasn't 100% sure. She could be simply curious, but no, no, that woman didn't seem curious or confused. She had a very determined posture to be someone confused.
"I'd like for you to always stay on top of all my business affairs, Ms. Kim. I want you to stay on top of every detail, okay?" She asked, staring at me.
"Yes, ma'am. I will."
"That's all for now, you can leave." She said as she organized some papers.
"Okay, if you need anything, just call my desk. I'm at your disposal, ma'am." I said, getting out of her office.
As soon as I stepped out of that office, my heart began beating in a normal rhythm. I walked to my desk with a little notepad in hand, where I wrote down all of her most important explanations. I looked at the woman through the glass wall that separated us, and I thanked God that she hadn't found out anything. A kind of sudden relief came over me, my job was safe for now.
I decided that I wanted to find out more about that mysterious woman who was now my boss, so I wrote her name in the powerful connoisseur of all things like Hyunji called it, Google.
I found many articles about her, Lisa Manobal was an important person in the business world. She won a lot of awards and was none other than the successor daughter of Marco Manobal, owner of Manobal Industry, company that had branch offices on South Korea and all the way to Europe. I saw that she lived for a long time in Paris, due to one of the subsidiaries there. Jesus, this woman was so private that there wasn't any news about her personal life. I ran the cursor over several pages, and then opened a link, where it showed her standing next to a beautiful woman. Beneath the picture was a small description: 'Lisa Manobal and her companion Tzuyu in the inauguration of the subsidiary of Manobal Industry in London'. They looked really intimate in the picture. The tall and thin woman was holding Lisa's arm with a snob smile.
"What are you doing?" I heard Hyunji's voice, making me jump.
"Jesus!" I exclaimed, putting my hands over my chest. "You scared me, Hyunji!"
She started laughing because of my face.
"What are you doing that you shouldn't to get so scared?" She asked, still laughing.
"Nothing." I said, minimizing the page on the internet.
Hyunji stared at me with one of her brows raised, showing that she knew I was lying.
"Okay, I was researching Lisa. But I didn't have any success." I said, dispirited.
"You're too interested in that woman, don't you think?" Her mischievous tone was evident.
"Me? No! I just want to know who my boss is, dammit!"
"You don't fool me, Kim." She said cynically. "Have you talked to her?"
"Yes, and I almost passed out in her office, but other than that, everything was quiet, she didn't notice anything." I sighed in relief.
"Good, it would be at least comical to see you being removed from her office in a stretcher." Hyunji laughed again.
"Why do you love picking on me?"
"Because I love you, Chancho!" She said smiling. "Now I gotta go, we'll talk later."
I nodded at Hyunji who headed for the elevators, her office was on another floor. And then I looked at the picture of Lisa and Tzuyu again, and wondered what they could be. But anyways, I shouldn't worry about it, I shouldn't meddle in her life, the best thing to do was to leave her alone, and that was exactly what I would do.

DISCLAIMER: I hereby declare that I do not own this story. All rights belong to the owner(@/shewantscamila). No Copyright Infringement Intended.