Chapter 17

"Meeting the family; problems"

L

isa's POV

I looked out the small window of the plane that was passing through the clouds, seeing the beautiful view that it provided me with. It had been a while since I didn't feel completely happy about going to my family's house. Saying this to someone would be the same thing as saying that I don't love them, but I do love them, more than anyone can imagine. Life has many twists and turns and sometimes it stops at the wrong time. Since my childhood a lot of things had changed, my foundations, and my safe haven wasn't as strong as it used to be.
I hated to feel weak or fragile, to feel that at any moment I could break down. That was against my nature, but I felt like this now, just like in all the other times that I visited them. But unlike the other times, now someone would help me get out of it.
"You have important meetings on Monday."
I heard Jennie's voice beside me. I turned looking at her, she was beautiful even with a sleepy face. I wasn't even caring about what people would say about me for taking Jennie to my parents' house. She was the perfect way out of that place, but I wasn't with her only for that. Miss Kim in the last few days was my best company, she had a good conversation, and a positive energy. Everything that I needed in my day-to-day. Maybe with her I was different, I felt more relaxed, as if I knew that she wouldn't hurt me.
"I have? With whom?"
She continued to slide her fingers on the iPad's screen, seeing the commitments in my schedule.
"With some stakeholders from Brasil. They want to know your services.
"Brasil? Wow, that's great!"
"Yes, have you thought? Building a Brazilian branch office?"
"I had never thought of that, but it's a good idea. Let's work hard for them, ok?"
"Don't worry, ma'am."
Was she never going to lose the habit of calling me "ma'am"? I stared at the young woman with an accusative look.
"What?"
"Ma'am?"
"I'm sorry, Lisa."
I smiled at her, who returned the smile. And then went back at looking at the device in her hands. I didn't understand what Jennie had to make me feel so at ease with her, to make me feel the will to leave aside all of our professional relationship to simply be her friend.
Friend...
Was that really what I wanted from this woman? I looked at her without letting her notice. I stared at her delicate and heavenly features, Jennie was a sweet woman who enchanted even the hardest of hearts, like mine. There was no doubt that she would be the perfect woman to marry and have beautiful children. Children? Oh my God, Lisa, you need to chill the fuck out.
"Is everything alright?"
I heard her speak.
"Yes, I was just thinking."
I smiled at the young woman who nodded, and leaned against her seat closing her eyes. Jennie had such familiar features, I just needed to know with whom.
Hours later we landed at Los Angeles airport, and as expected, our car was already waiting to take us to my family's house.
"Have you ever been to LA?"
"Actually no, I didn't have the opportunity. "
"I see that I'll be the opportunity for you to meet many places, Miss Kim."
Jennie smiled shyly, causing me to chuckle.

Jennie's POV

I was feeling kind of embarrassed. Lisa and I didn't have so much intimacy to the point of spending a weekend together, I knew that this would be the way for her to escape her weekend in family. But despite everything I was happy, happy to be in her presence that made me feel so good.
When we got out from the airport we saw the parked car with the driver waiting for us. As soon as the man saw us he picked up our bags and put them inside the car. Lisa was serious at every instant, she only joked once, but nothing too much. The way to her house was made in pure silence , it was late already but the streets were still busy. Tourists going from one side to the other with their cameras, excited about everything. I looked at Lisa who was quiet, only staring at the landscape through the window. Was she feeling bad? I couldn't understand the reason why visiting her family was so bad like this, she seemed to get along with all of them. Something bothered her a lot, and I'm sure that sharing that with me would be hard.
I was nervous, meeting the Manoban family was something that no employee from that company ever did, even though I heard that Marco Manoban was a kind-hearted person. I had never seen him, only heard of him. For some unknown reason he no longer commanded the branch offices of the company for years.
"Are you okay?" I asked her.
"Yes, why?"
"You are very quiet."
"Don't worry, Miss Kim." she smiled "We arrived!"
I took my eyes off Lisa, looking at the house, or better, mansion. The Manoban's really didn't like to save up on anything when they build their buildings, it was only fair for the biggest real estate company in the country, right? A huge black gate with the letter "M" opened, giving me the view of the enormous mansion. It was to be dazzled by all of this.
"Over the top, right?" Lisa asked smiling.
"Yes, but it's amazing. Your parents aren't going to complain? I mean, because I came with you."
"No, Jennie, don't worry. Trust me, my family is very different from what you are imagining right now."
She said laughing, touching with her pointer finger in my head.
"Do you at least know what I'm imagining?"
"I do, you're imagining finding old people dressed in a very formal way, all fancy and arrogants. "
"Wow, you read my thoughts!"
Lisa let out a laugh that was wonderful to hear. The man stopped the car, and immediately got out to open the door.
"Welcome, ladies." the man said bowing.
"Thank you."
Lisa and I stopped in front of the huge door of the Manoban mansion. The woman stared at me, took a deep breath and then said:
"Listen, don't be embarrassed. They will think I have something with you, but I'll make it clear to them that we don't, you don't have to worry, ok?"
I nodded.
"And another thing, we are going to convince them that we'll stay in a hotel and not here. Act naturally, and anything talk to me. " she was talking too fast.
"Ma'am..."
"Everything will be fine, I am sure it will."
"Lisa!"
She stopped talking the instant that she heard her name.
"Calm down, I'm here with you."
I spoke calmly looking deep into those doe eyes that I loved so much.
"Thank you..."
For a split second that was no longer the dominant Lisa that I knew. This one had a worried countenance, her eyes were lighter, nervous. I held her hand tightly, passing her strength for her to be able to face whatever it was that caused her fear or agony. Until the door opened and we let go of our hands quickly, but not quick enough to prevent them from seeing us holding hands.
"Lili!"
A girl that looked to be around 18 years old hugged her tightly. Throwing herself on Lisa's arms with all the longing she felt. She had light brown hair, almost blonde, she was very pretty.
"I missed you so much, Ya..."
"I thought you wouldn't come. But I'm very happy that you did! "
The girl said smiling, while she got out from Lisa's arms, to then stare at me smiling.
"And you, what's your name?"
"My name is Jennie Kim."
The young girl shook my hand, and kissed my face, very polite.
"Welcome, Jennie, I'm Yaya" Jauregui, let's get in.
If outside the Manoban's house was amazing, on the inside was much better. It was worthy of a soap opera house, but as weird as it may sound, it had a cozy air, like the perfect family home.
"Mom! Dad! Look who arrived." Yaya shouted as we entered the house, and a woman and a man quickly showed up.
"Sweetie! I'm glad you came!"
The woman said approaching Lisa, hugging her tightly. It was beautiful to see how much Lisa's family missed her, that only increased more my curiosity to know why Lisa didn't like to visit them.
"You look more beautiful every day, baby."
Marco Manoban said while hugging Lisa. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, returning the hug with the same intensity.
"I missed you, dad..."
At that moment we all looked at that scene with our heart in hand. I didn't know why, but they had a beautiful connection.
"I missed you too, baby!"
Lisa smiled, and so did he. Until the man put his eyes on me.
"And you, pretty lady, what's your name?"
I smiled, trying to keep all the cool in the world as I was under his gaze.
"My name is Jennie Kim, Sir."
"Don't call me Sir, it makes me look like an old man. You can call me Marco, Jennie!"
"Nice to meet you." I spoke shyly.
"The pleasure is all mine, Lisa never brought a girlfriend before!"
Losa and I widened our eyes instantly. I was sure that I blushed violently.
"Dad, Jennie works with me, she's my secretary."
The man stared at Lisa as if he didn't believe in absolutely anything.
"I didn't know that that was the name given nowadays. But okay!"
"Maeco, don't embarrass the girl, please." Lisa's mother spoke "My name is Chittip Manoban, welcome, honey."
"My Pleasure, ma'am."
"You arrived in time for dinner. Let's go?"
Yaya invited. I looked at Lisa who nodded. So we all went to the dining room. The house was enormous, on its light walls there were a lot of beautiful paintings, with luxurious and sophisticated furniture, whoever decorated it had good taste.
"Do you like it, Jennie? I mean, the decoration."
Yaya asked smiling while walking beside me.
"Yes, it's all gorgeous."
"I decorated it myself, every detail."
"You have great taste, Miss Manoban."
"Whoa, whoa! Urassaya, or simply Yaya." Not Miss Manoban, leave these formalities to the old people like my mom and dad."
"I heard that, Yaya!"
Mrs. Manoban spoke louder ahead.