Chapter 38

"Matter of knowing"

Jennie's POV

"You want me to forget about Ruby Jane?"
I asked the woman who stared at me in a firm and patient way.
"I want her to exist only for me. And soon."
I loved that possessive way of Lisa, it made me love her even more. But I didn't understand where she wanted to go with that. I was already only hers.
"What do you mean by that?"
Lisa took a deep breath and smiled, bringing her hand over mine that rested on the table, where she began a light caress.
"I want you to leave Imperium."
For a few seconds I was completely paralyzed, trying to figure out if I had heard that from her or if my imagination simply had gone too far.
"Jennie... " Lisa whispered, waking me up.
"Are you serious?"
"Yes, I thought that well, now that we are together you don't need to go there anymore." Lisa spoke calmly as she drank her red wine.
"Lisa, me going there or not, it won't interfere with what we have, baby." I spoke calmly.
"Of course it will. I don't want you there, exposing yourself like that." she spoke serious.
"Until a week ago you liked it, and you didn't mind." I let out indifferently.
The woman rolled her eyes and huffed.
"A week ago you weren't my girlfriend."
The atmosphere automatically got heavy, spreading the tension between us.
"What does that change? We are just together officially. Nothing will change."
"Obvious it will, Jennie!"
"In what?"
"In everything! You are mine now."
"And I will always be, Lisa!"
"Not being there, dancing for those people. I want you to be only mine."
"You are my girlfriend, Lisa, not my owner."
We stared at each other almost spitting fire. Amazing how everything was too good to be true.
"Wow, I can't believe that you just said that. " she spoke standing up from the table, and in the same instant I regretted for being too rude. I stayed seated staring at Lisa that served herself a little bit more of red wine, to then look towards the rough sea. I stood up slowly and walked towards her.
"I'm sorry. I just want you to understand, I can't leave." I said touching Lisa's arms affectionately.
"What holds you there?"
"I can't simply leave CL aside. I can't give up on the project with her."
"Project where only she gains, right?"
"Lisa, I also receive very well for it."
"Jennie, you don't need it!"
"If I'm there is because I need it."
"I can give you everything you want, baby."
"I don't want your money."
"I don't want you there. Being with me you'll never need anything."
"Do you really think that I'm the type of person that will be supported by another?"
Lisa looked at me incredulously, it was clear the nuisance of having me clash with her.
"Don't come with your pride, Jennie. We don't have room for that here."
"I don't want to depend on you."
"You rather stay half naked on top of that stage?!" she almost shouted angrily.
"Since when does it bother you so much? Are you gonna play the good Samaritan as well? Like everyone else?" I said angrily.
"You don't know what people say there, Jennie, how they see you, God!"
"I don't care, okay? You have no idea what I've heard for it, Lisa, nothing they say or think affects me. Not anymore."
"But it affects me, how do you think it makes me feel? Knowing that everyone in there thinks filthy things about my woman?"
I knew how hard that was for her. I didn't take away Lisa's reasons. But I couldn't simply throw everything into the air. CL was an important piece for everything that I am today, and leaving her wasn't the fairest thing to do.
"Just ignore them, Lisa." I tried to calm myself.
"You think it's possible? Look very carefully into my eyes, Jennie, do you really think I can?" she spoke firmly, holding my arms.
Her eyes conveyed fury, jealousy, power.
"You met me like that..."
"Wouldn't you be able to change for me?"
"And you? Would you be able to change for me?"
In that instant our gazes kept connected by a heavy tension.
"Don't turn the tables, Kim." she grumbled letting go of my arms.
"I'm not turning the tables. I just want you to think a little. Have you stopped to imagine what led me to do it? The reasons why I can't leave?"
Lisa that had her back turned to me, now turned around to face me.
"I don't know what led you to do it, but the reasons I can imagine."
Her voice tone could be almost acidic. I wasn't prepared to hear bad things from her, no, I wasn't. Lisa turned her back to me again and drank all the wine from her glass.
"What do you imagine, Manoban?"
"You haven't the slightest idea?" she turned to face me again.
She was with a superior and arrogant gaze. Her voice poured sarcasm.
"You like to be courted, Jennie. You like to be wanted, to be desired."
"You think I'm there simply because I like to be courted?"
"For what reason would it be? You must love seeing all those people go crazy for you, right? Everyone there would pay whatever it takes to sleep with you."
I stayed staring at the woman in front of me, with her mocking tone. I just shook my head and smiled humorlessly.
"You are an asshole, Lisa." I spoke before leaving her there alone.