Chapter 37: Home Hero

🎶 Hypnotized — Purple Disco Machine, Sophie and the Giants 🎶

Fermín had left for Madrid and we stayed in touch, FaceTiming when we could manage, and just texting on the other days. They U21s travelled to Huelva already on Thursday, and his family as well as my parents and Carlito were able to see and have dinner with him and his teammates at their hotel. I was a bit angry that I wasn't able to be there too, but I didn't want to miss my Friday classes as we had a really important test and I wanted to get a good grade.

But when our last class of the day finished, El, Agnes and I hurried out of the building to catch the bus in time that would take us to the train for the airport. It took us a bit over an hour to arrive, but we didn't have to check in any luggage and made our way to security straight away. Since it was Friday, I had expected the worst, but everything went smoothly and we arrived at our gate 30 minutes prior to the start of our boarding. We sat down on a bench and the girls asked me about my parents and my hometown, how it was growing up there.

Thankfully, the plane was on time and after one and a half hours in the air, we landed in Seville. When I got off the plane, the warmer climate hit me and I immediately felt back at home. My Dad was waiting for us in the arrival hall and I introduced my friends to him. He wasn't really good with English but my friends pulled out their best Spanish and we managed to have a nice conversation on our drive to the stadium.

"How is Fermín?" I asked my dad, not being able to hold my curiosity in any more.
"Good, he's so excited to play here tonight. He greets you and ah! He gave me an envelope for you - Agnes, it should be under your seat" he replied and my friend quickly bent down to pick it up and give it to me. I tore it open and saw a red jersey in it which I quickly unfolded and my heart started beating faster when I saw the 14 with "Fermín" written above.
"Oh..." my Dad mumbled.
"He... lost a bet and had to get me one" I tried to smoothen it out, or by tomorrow all of El Campillo would spread rumours about Fermín and me dating.

Agnes and Eleonore were trying their best to stay silent in their back seats, but I could see them grinning stupidly at each other from the corner of my eye. We arrived at the stadium shortly after and made our way to our seats where I greeted the rest of my family and friends and introduced them to my friends.

 We arrived at the stadium shortly after and made our way to our seats where I greeted the rest of my family and friends and introduced them to my friends

📍 Estadio Nuevo Colombino
Tagged: agnes_brieux
clara_1106 Waiting for superstar _ferminlopez

carlos_1106 Still pissed you got a shirt and I didn't
agnes_brieux Can't wait to see all the hot, athletic Spanish boys 😍
aurorapaezg Have fun 😘

The game started with an incredible atmosphere, Fermín was starting and every time he touched the ball, huge cheers and roars went through the stadium. I really thought that all of El Campillo had come tonight, as well as basically everyone that Fermín knew from Huelva too. It was packed and I loved seeing how proud everyone was of our hometown hero. Spain even shot a goal and the first half ended with us in the lead. Agnes and Eleonore were occupied in following all of the cute guys they had spotted on the field on Instagram during the break while I talked to Fermin's parents, hoping not to slip up on anything that me and their son had been up to the past weeks. Fermin was right, it would have been weird telling everyone tonight, as we couldn't have done it properly together and our families deserved to hear it from both of us.

The second half started and Agnes' new crush Pablo Torre was subbed in for Fermín, to her happiness he even shot a goal in the 67th minute. The game ended with a 2-0 win for our boys and we gave them a standing ovation when the final whistle blew. Fermín made his way to our stands and I got in line behind his family and my brother to greet him. When it was finally my turn to hug him, I stopped for a moment to admire him and he did the same with me: looking into each other's glistening eyes, wanting to express our feelings with more than a hug, but this wasn't the moment now. So we just engulfed in a tight hug, but he gave me an innocent kiss on my cheek, that made my body heat up nonetheless.
"You look good in my jersey, but you'd look even better without it on" I heard him whisper into my ear and my face probably turned as red as the shirt I was wearing. I pulled away from the hug and patted his face as he had a cheeky grin on his lips.

He spent a few more minutes chatting with us, taking pictures and signing stuff, but eventually had to leave to make it back to the team.
"He looked so good, all sweaty and stuff, hm?" El teased me as we made our way back to my dad's car.
"Oh shut up" I said and pushed her slightly.
"Can you ask him for the Torre guy's phone number, pleeeeasssseeeee" Agnes pleaded, her arm hooked under mine.
"Yeah, I can do that for you. But what about Pierre?" I asked.
"Have you seen Torre? Sorry but a Spanish lover is better than a French one" she replied and El and I burst out in laughter.

Fermín ⚽️❤️
Thanks for coming tonight, it wasn't exactly around the corner
You looked so good 😍🤤

Clara ❤️
For you, I'd even travel to the North Pole
You did too 🥰
Oh btw, Agnes caught a crush on Pablo Torre, can you shoot me his phone number for her?

Fermín ⚽️❤️
He asked me for a picture of her, I showed him one from your Insta
He said he wants to text her first, wants to be a "gentleman" and bs 🙄
So shoot me her number

I showed Agnes the message as we were driving home to El Campillo and she started shrieking and squealing in the car, my poor dad looking at me completely weirded out. I sent Fermín her number and Pablo Torre indeed texted Agnes in a matter of minutes. We arrived at home and I showed the girls my room before we started getting ready for bed and turning the lights off eventually. From what I could see while shuffling around, Agnes was on her phone for most of the night, I was pretty sure that she was texting Pablo. Somehow cute, somehow weird, but the most important thing was her being happy.

The next day, I drove to Sevilla with the girls to show them the city. We drove with my parents' car, so I couldn't drink, but Agnes and El started chugging Tinto de Verano in the afternoon at a nice place we had found on one of the main squares and by dinner they were completely out and I had to babysit them, which was fun though. I was grateful to have found fun friends like them so quickly at uni.

On Sunday, we had to go to the obligatory Sunday mass with my family and all of El Campillo, but the girls didn't mind. While sitting in church on our usual bench in the middle of the left side, I noticed that there was a new priest seated next to our parish priest, old Don Geronimo.
"Who is the new guy?" I whispered at my mum.
"Francisco? He's our new deacon, will be ordained as a priest in summer and then follow into Don Geronimo's footsteps as he will retire" she whispered back and I nodded. I took another look at this new guy - he was very attractive, probably nearing 30, dark-haired with a well-trimmed beard.

After mass, we stood outside to greet everyone and many were happy to see me again as it was my first time back since moving away.
"Francisco! How are you? Come meet my daughter!" my Dad suddenly said, making me and my friends turn around to look at this guy.
"Hello! Nice to meet you" he said as he extended his hand, which I quickly and firmly shook.
"Nice to meet you, I'm Clara and these are my friends Eleonore and Agnes, they're from Belgium" I replied and pointed at the two girls, who also shook his hands.
"Well, I hope to see you around more often then. Have a blessed Sunday" he said to me and nodded at us before moving on to greet the next family.

"Ohhh someone caught a crush!!" Agnes squealed quietly as we were walking back home.
"Huh?" I asked confusedly.
"The young priest! He had all lovey dovey eyes when he looked at you! 'I hope to see you more often'" she said, imitating his voice and I rolled my eyes and laughed.
"He's not a priest yet, just to clarify! And he did not look at me that way!" I said sternly, but laughing at her absurd idea. "You texted Pablo a bit too much and are in a romantic bubble" I added and she lightly shoved me.
"He did, Clarita. Mark my words" she just said.