002. baby

It's nighttime and raining as Dean drives the Impala. Everybody but Larissa stayed back at the bunker, the woman really only going to be with Sam.

"All right, let's hear it. What do you got?" Dean asks.

"Okay, uh, Quaker Valley, Oregon, town outside of Eugene. Dwayne Markham, the local sheriff, was found in the woods a couple days ago. His body was mauled, so they chalked it up to an animal attack, but I'm thinking--"

"Werewolf." Dean says.

"Yeah, maybe." Sam says.

"Yeah, you're right. That is thin." Dean says.

"Yeah. Probably nothing, right?" Sam asks.

"Probably not. Oregon, here we come." Dean says.

Sam reaches back and grabs a smoothie out of the cooler, starting to slurp on it.

"What is that?" Dean asks.

"It's a smoothie." Sam says.

"Where's the beer?" Dean asks.

"Under the smoothies."

"Where's the rest of the beer?" Dean asks as Sam's phone starts to ring.

"Ooh, it's Cas. We gotta-- we gotta--"

"Man!"

"I gotta get this." Sam answers the phone, putting it on speaker. "Hey, Cas. Everything all right?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I was just reading up about the other cases in the area that you're headed to. I haven't found anything yet that matches." Cas says.

"Cas, you've got one job to do and that's to heal. You understand?" Dean tells him.

"I can help." Cas says.

"Yeah, of course you can, Cas, but right now is the time for you to focus on getting better. This is just a milk run. We got it. So... try and relax." Sam says.

"All right." Cas sighs.

"Read a book, watch some Netflix." Sam says.

"What's a Netflix?" Cas asks.

"Go to my room, turn on the TV. You'll figure it out." Sam says.

"No, no, no. He's not hanging out in our room. That's fucking weird." Larissa argues. "Make Jacob or one of the kids set it up in the room he's staying in." She orders, taking her phone out, pulling up one of the family group chats.

"All right. Just call if you need anything." Cas says.

"Got it, Cas. Thanks." Dean says and Sam hangs up.

"You think he's gonna be okay?" Sam asks.

"He just needs some time, you know? We all do." Dean says.

+++

Dean pulls up to a bar.

"Are you serious? Dean, it's late. I'm exhausted and-and-- starving. And this place... I mean, even Swayze wouldn't come to this roadhouse." Sam says.

"Okay, first of all, never use Swayze's name in vain. Okay? Ever. Second, you don't remember this place? You don't remember Heather? The hunter that we worked a wendigo case a couple years ago?"

"Oh, yeah."

"Yeah, exactly."

"What, she's here tonight?"

"I texted her. She's working a rugaru case in Texas. Actually, she never texted me back. That's not the point. The point is, is that we have a ton of driving left to do just to go to a town where there's probably not a case. but in there... good times. And time heals all wounds, Sam, especially good times. What do you say?"