040. late night ice cream

Dean is driving and Sam is in the passenger seat while Jack, Ophelia, Nathan, and Delaney are in the back. Evie is in the front seat, slouched against her dad as she drifts in and out of consciousness. All the kids in the back but Daphne are asleep. Daphne has headphones in, doodling in a notebook despite not being able to see in the dark very well. Jacob, Natalie, Larissa, Daphne, and the three kids are in the other car.

"Hey, we still got probably 12 hours until we're home. You want me to drive?" Sam asks, keeping his voice quiet so he doesn't disturb Evie too much. He's holding her hand, tracing random shapes on the back of her hand, the motions relaxing her.

"Do I ever want you to drive?" Dean asks.

"Look... losing Li-- Libby and Billy and mom and Cas, that's a lot to process, Dean. Especially on no sleep. And the kid--"

"The "kid?" Come on, man, you know how this plays out. Look, when we try to bend the rules, pretend that the bad guys aren't so bad or that things will get fixed, that's when people that we care about get hurt. And then we end up doing what we should've done in the first place, which is end the problem. So this time, let's start with the obvious. Soon as I find a way to take care of... it."

"Dean, the "problem" might be our only shot at saving Libby, Billy, and mom."

"Libby, Billy, and mom are gone. There's no fixing that."

Sam clenches his jaw, moving his gaze out the window.

Evie gently squeezes her dad's hand, curling into him more. Sam sighs, glaring at his brother which goes unnoticed by the older one. Sam kisses Evie's head, resting his cheek against her head.

+++

"Guys, not to be critical, but if we are ever gonna find a way out of here, you three gotta pick up the pace." Lucifer tells them. "We got a lot of ground to cover, okay?" He says.

"Not sure I see the point." Mary says, sitting down. "Since... no matter how this plays out, you're going to kill us."

"Why would I kill you?" Lucifer asks. "Oh, that's right. Cause I'm evil. Yeah, let me tell you a couple of things, all right? You don't get to defy God and beat the cage without having a modicum of intelligence, all right? A game plan, i.e., I don't want you three dead because I need you three alive."

"All right, look, yeah, in a perfect world, I would probably kill your plodding sons and daughter and the in-laws and all the grandkids, and then you and your annoying little sister and the blonde guy." Lucifer says making Libby and Billy both glare at him. "But life isn't fair. Your family has my boy. So I'm gonna exchange you three for my son. Or maybe just one of you... see, you all mean something valuable to those three annoying siblings. Now, my money is definitely on Libby. Kid for a kid. But maybe you two will come in handy for something. Or maybe Libby isn't enough for them to make a trade."

"You can't possibly care about raising a child." Mary comments.

"Oh, you have no idea what I care about." Lucifer says.

A fireball lands and explodes a little bit away from them. Billy grabs Libby and protects her, placing one of his arms over his head as smoke flies around.

"Come on, come on." Mary mutters, pulling the two up and dragging them away from Lucifer.

+++

They walk through the hallway of the motel.

"This is a bad idea. We should've just kept driving." Dean says.

"Dude." Sam scoffs. "You were hallucinating sheep on the road. We need a few hours."