CHAPTER 28

DEMONVILLE HIGH

Diego sat, head down at an empty corner in the classroom, lost in his thoughts, completely oblivious to what Mrs. Hasdrubal, the biology teacher was saying. The last couple of weeks had been rough and weird for him.
Still in his thoughts, he didn't notice the student that walked into the class even when she sat next to him. He still didn't notice her until he felt some kind of overwhelming, scary and dangerous, yet attractive presence. He snapped out of his thoughts and raised his head to look at her just to find out that she was looking at him.
She felt very familiar.
"Sorry, do we know each other from somewhere?", he asked.
She chuckled exposing her pearly white teeth.
"I don't think so. I'm Kara", she said as she brought her hand forward for a shake. Diego shook it as he smiled.
"I'm Diego. Nice to meet you", he said.
Then the two of them went back to what they doing. After a few seconds, Diego took up his head and turned to her.
"You know, your name sounds like Kira", he said.
"Yeah?"
"Yeah. I had a girlfriend who bore that name"
"Well then, where is she? I'd like to meet her"
"I dunno. She left", Diego said.
Before Kara could speak, the sound of something hitting the students' locker was heard from outside in the hallway, followed by a grunt. A person then. It sounded like the person was thrown to the locker.
The whole class went silent and then two figured passed the entrance of the class with an inhuman speed.
"What the hell?", Kara muttered to herself.
The sounds of roars and animalistic growls and hisses were heard in the hallway.
Just then, the speakers in the hallway sounded.
"This is Mr. Myers, the Principal. Run"
Before anyone could react, they heard the principal shriek and struggle. Then they heard a hiss and a crunching sound and then silence.
Everyone in the classroom begin to scramble out. Kara got up from her seat and made to leave but Diego held her wrist.
"Wait, let's go together. It's not safe for you", he said.
"Trust me darling, I can handle myself and whatever is out there. You on the other hand, not so much. And that's why..". Kira held his chin and pulled his face close to hers such that her eyes were looking directly into his.
".. you're going to leave. Run as far and as fast as you can. Don't look back. Only know that I'm okay."
And she left.

Diego was confused. When Kara looked him in the eyes and told him to run, he felt some kind of force trying to push his body into doing as she said. But he forced himself to resist it.
He knew that those creatures weren't human.
I've had my own share of supernatural bull crap to know that Kara can't defend herself against whatever is out there.
He slowly made his way out of the classroom.
When he got to the hallway, a hand grabbed by the collar, and before his brain could register what was going on, he was shoved against a locker with that same inhuman speed and strength.
He looked at his attacker and gasped as his heartbeat increased. It was a young man with blood red eyes. He opened his mouth and a sharp hiss erupted from his throat. He had long razor-sharp looking fangs in the place of his canines.
"Wh..what are you?", Diego stuttered.
"Oh darling, don't be scared. You're heart is beating a little too fast and it's making your blood more difficult to  resist. I may just end up killing you" the man said and sank his fangs into Diego's neck.
Diego let out a loud shriek. And then, another hiss was heard few feet beside them at the left. The man pulled out and he and Diego looked at the direction of the hiss and saw Kara.
She looked exactly as monstrous as the man, with the same blood red eyes and fangs. She held a piece of wood shaped like a cone.
The man scoffed.
"You'll need more than that to take me out love", he said. Kara launched the wood at him with a perfect aim. The sharp end of the wood pierced his chest and passed through to his heart. The man screamed and fell. He turned grey and seemed to stop breathing.
Diego was hyperventilating and his sight began to blur. He held on to the locker to balance himself. He felt Kara suddenly appear beside him and hold something to his lips.
"Drink. It'll heal you", she said. He opened his mouth and a warm liquid with a metallic taste hit his tongue.
Blood.
He wanted to spit it out but he swallowed it and felt some kind of newfound energy. His sight became focused and he was able to stand properly but Kara held his neck and slammed him against the locker. She looked into his eyes again.
"I said leave. And do not turn back", she said.
Diego felt that force again messing with his body and he began to move. He looked back and Kara was gone and the wood that she used to attack the grey guy was no longer in his chest.

***

The school was in disarray. Corpses lay everywhere on the ground. Some only had bite marks on their necks, while others looked like some parts of their bodies have been eaten.
Iva just finished feeding on a girl when someone vamped to her, grabbed her neck and shoved her to the wall . She looked at the person but couldn't recognize her.
"What the.."
"Hi Iva", Kara smirked as her eyes turned blood red. She pulled out the stake that she used to attack Morova. "Bye Iva"
Then she drove the stake through her chest to her heart. Iva shrieked as her eyes widened in shock and she went stiff as her body began to turn grey. Kara pulled at the stake and vamped away.