22 : Four Unfortunate Happenings & A Letter

» edited : 04.16.2017

x x

Absolutely nothing had gone according to plan, nor had your day passed as calmly as your half-asleep mind had hoped for. It was all a bundle of surprises tied with a pretty ribbon of disastrous confusion.

Or maybe that was a Sabertooth thing, who knows? Fairy Tail's thing was complete idiocy that always works thing out in the end, more or less.

Anyway, the first of many unfortunate happenings began with the slow fluttering open of your eyelids.

Waking next to a man you knew little about was the misfortune of the desperate whores and the regretful drunks, not dignified, sober you. Alas, much like the whores and the drunks, you quietly slipped out of the bed, weighing your footsteps carefully as you exited the room in a hurry.

You find Sting after many a confused, loud footsteps. He was nursing an empty glass, and from the unusual solemnity of his expression, he was probably nursing a few heavy thoughts, too. You approach him, lacking your usual vigor, because you were still shaken from waking next to Rogue, and because Sting's seriousness would not receive cheekiness well. There was an easiness to your footsteps upon the presence of something dressed in familiarity.

You get your answers soon enough, after a gentle tap on his shoulder and a warm smile, which was, thankfully, reciprocated by Sting.

"What the hell is Rogue doing on my bed?"

"He showed up an hour ago- I think, and after that I couldn't fall asleep again so I just let him sleep with you. . .kinda pummeled him a bit too hard earlier, felt bad about it."

"So, what do we do about him?"

"We could always shove him off of the bed."

"Oh my God."

"I'm serious."

» time skip

The second of many unfortunate happenings started with subtle actions, nothing discernible, like the prologue of a novel. A careful nod, leaving Sting alone with an empty glass that still shimmered with the droplets of his previous drink, hoping his thoughts wouldn't grow too heavy. 

It continued when you slowly swung open the door, slipping through the crack of chilly night air, and out of the house.

It truly began with a burst of weight slamming into your front side, a surprise, like a the grand scheme of events revealing itself recklessly in the middle of the book. It isn't strong enough, isn't heavy enough to make you stagger and fall, no, just enough to knock some wind out of your lungs, wind you quickly swallow back in with a few surprised breaths.

"Yukino? What are you doing all alone, especially out this late?"

"I was at Rogue's, but he wasn't there at his house. . ."

"What were you even doing at Rogue's house. . .?. . .Wait a second-"

"No, no! It's not what you think, I swear it!"

"If my speculation's correct, which it probably is, you've probably gained some sort of attraction to him, haven't ya?"

The embarrassed peep that wriggles out of Yukino's lips, paired with the flaming red lit across her entire face speaks a silent, yet powerful 'Yes'.

» time skip

Too tightly-bound, you found it impossible to escape the lethal trap of the love quadrilateral you've gone and knocked into. Its cruel fangs were bared, pointed, ready to snare some more unlucky ones.

Now this- the whores and the drunks were lucky enough to rarely, maybe even not at all, encounter feelings besides a temporary euphoria.

Yukino liked Rogue. Rogue liked you. You liked Sting. Sting liked you. 

The thought alone made your head spin, it was so uselessly complicated, so uselessly distressing. The only thing you've allowed to make your head spin are cups of booze and dizzying punches.

Not even two minutes after you've guided Yukino to your humble abode, leading her to a sleeping Rogue, the door slams open in a screaming echo, and Yukino stumbles out of the building in furious tears. Rogue doesn't even run after her.

The whistle of the wind and the regret painted on Rogue's features weave a filling in the emptiness of your brain, a large, ugly 'Rejection'. This was the third of many unfortunate happenings, though the gravity of it weighed the heaviest on Yukino.

» time skip

Rogue's lips on yours are the fourth, hopefully the last, definitely the worst, of many unfortunate happenings. Rogue doesn't kiss you like Sting does, he doesn't make you feel like Sting was. Surprised sounds escape your lips, but they're swallowed by Rogue. The way he's pushing his lips against yours, too rough for even intimacy, like he's forcing everything to fall into place.

Sadly, no matter how tight his grip is on your shoulders, no matter how many times Rogue's tongue wets your lips, he can never elicit anything more than a startled yip.

» time skip

Sting taking Rogue by the collar, cursing at him would probably count as a fifth unfortunate happening, but it seemed like a bright, pulsing light amidst blackness, a sort of blessing for you.

Again, you're shown Sting at his most furious, with his fist drawn back, ready to punch Rogue in the face.

Rescuing Rogue from a potentially horrible fate ( and face ), was an alarmingly loud burst of the door. Sting drops Rogue's collar, not caring for the stagger in the few steps that proceed Rogue. At the door, panting, wings drawn, were Lector, Frosch and Flaire. All three of you stand a little straighter upon seeing your exceeds.

"We received a letter from Erza! She sent it a long time ago and we only discovered it now!" Lector exclaims.

"What took you so long?" Sting crosses his arms, something he only does when he doesn't have his way. His hands are still curled into tight fists. There's no cutting sharpness to Sting's voice, it was rather monotonous, another habit of his whenever he gets shut down.

"We found it in the pile of letters Sting didn't read," Flaire says. Her wings are the first to slowly fold back into her back, vanishing a second after.

Sting coughs. "Never mind that, what's in the letter?"

"It says here that our Lady joined a dark guild."