Chapter 45: Meet The Somerhalders

I found myself getting off of yet another plane.

This time, I stepped on Louisiana ground sinse I was gonna pay my part of the deal. This time, I was the one meeting family. Ian and I arrived at his house on a taxi and I heard a door opening as we got our luggage out of the trunk. Soon, a voice was calling enthusiastically for Ian. He embraced in a hug with his mother as the taxi drove away.

He could say I was gonna 'meet' his family but there wasn't much I didn't knew already. He is famous after all. Which means not much of his personal life is...well...personal. But that didn't stopped him from doing the whole introducing routine.

"Veronica," He started saying after he pulled away from his mother. "This is my mother, Edna." Now he spoke directly to his mother. "Mom, here she is..."

Don't I get a proper introduction? I thought. It would seem like Edna read my thoughts and proceeded to answer my unspoken question.

"It is so nice to meet you, Veronica." She said denying my extended hand and taking me in for a hug. "Ian has told us so much about you, I feel like I know you." She said on a apologizing tone as she realized how stif I had gotten between her arms. But, despite my slight but eminent intolerance to sudden human contact, I managed to return the hug the best I could. "Now come in!" She said to both of us. "You got here just in time."

In unison, Ian and I went to grab the biggest suitcase as Edna walked towards the house. Our hands collided which made our gazes meet. Ian read my eyes and answered me vocally.

"Don't even think about it." He warned.

He knew how I felt about him doing all these cliche things. Opening the door, pulling a seat, taking the bag. I took every chance to turn things around and kick society in the face. Then explain it with the use of a word and one word only. Equality.

But, right now, he refused to stand down, so I was forced to. Once again, I only took the backpacks as he held one suitcase on each hand and carried them effortlessly.

"Here she is?" I said quoting his words as we walked towards the house out of anyone's hearing range. "What was all that about?"

Ian simply shrugged his shoulders. "Oh...the usual...they know." He said.

I have to admit part of me felt relieved. I was glad we could go inside that house and he could introduce me to everyone as his girlfriend, which is what he did.

Everyone looked eager to meet me and I was getting used to the Somerhalder vibes. I was amazed by the level of unity between them all. I was amazed by how lovingly Edna looked and I couldn't help but to compare her image with my own mother's. I couldn't believe Edna was showing me more appreciation than my own mother when I was with her. I felt confident enough to speak without my walls. Walls that I put up every time I spoke with my mother.

Speaking without my walls, that was exactly what I was doing right now as Edna asked me about my family.

"We were with them a couple days ago, actually." I said, meaning Ian and I, even if Ian wasn't even in the room. He was outside somewhere and I was having a nice chat with Edna and Ian's sister Robin. "I haven't seen them in years... It was quite refreshing."

"That's nice. And your mom. How's she like?" Asked Edna who was working on the food in the kitchen as Robin and I sat on the dinner table not too far away.

"Well...our relationship has never been what you would call...good. I never really had that bond with her. In her eyes, I was a disgrace and a disappointment and she never failed to mention it every chance she got. She is quite the package there, my mother." I said the last sentence with a little laughter.