Chapter 4: The Read-Through

The day I landed, when I settled in the hotel, I called Alex and talked for a while, as I promised.

I was surprised when I started getting notifications on twitter from the cast. Seems like they were as excited as I was. I even had a legit conversation with Kat Graham. The last thing I remember her saying was 'You're gonna have the time of your life. We'll make sure of it ;)'

I had to be ready for the limo to pick me up and take me to the set so I can try on the wardrobe. Once there, I met Julie Plec. She was so nice, explaining everything to me really politely, answering any question I had. She told me about my character. Turns out I was going to be a Bennett witch. Her name was Megan and I was going to help get Bonnie out of the prison. While having a love triangle or something with one of the characters.

"We're still not sure who, but be ready for anything" Julie said.

And I was. I looked at myself in the mirror when I was wearing a Megan outfit. It was very edgy with a brown leather jacket and boots.

As promised, Julie then took me on a tour around so I can see the sets I'll be working on. Today it was empty so it wasn't as chaotic as it would be if there were people working. She showed me the grill set, the Salvatore Boarding House, the cemetery, and one set that I wasn't expecting.

"Welcome to Damon's room. And... get use to it. Cause you'll probably spend a lot of time here" She said. I wanted to ask what does that even meant. I knew better than to say that out loud though.

After the tour, I had to do some press. A couple of interviews about my expectations on this journey, about my experience so far, what I'm most excited for. That kind of thing. Later, they brought me to set again, apparently I was also going to a meeting with the writers.

Back on set, we were all inside a room, not particularly a 'set' but where they shoot....and soon enough, where I shoot.

"So, here's the thing. The script is ready. Here's a copy" Said Caroline Dries as she passed me the book labeled 'The Vampire Diaries-SCRIPT'. I took it and started looking through it, trying to look like I now what I'm doing as she kept talking. "So what we're gonna do now is have you read through a couple scenes out loud for us, okay?"

"Sure, no prob" was all I could manage to say after I was overwhelmed by the sudden feeling of anxiety. But I pulled all those thoughts to the back of my head for five minutes as I read my lines.

Turns out my character is a Bennett but she was adopted so that's why it was so hard for the other characters to find her. Despite not living with a family that knows about magic and the supernatural, she has pretty much self-taught her way into it when she found out about her biological family.

In this scene I was reading, Megan was speaking to all the characters together about how she found out about Bonnie being in that prison because Kai came to her and was about to kill her until Damon found her and saved her.

***
Megan: I found out some time ago.

Caroline: If you knew then why didn't you came sooner??

Megan: I couldn't. Not with that psycho wannabe witch who's trying to kill me on my trail.

Liv: Join the club.

Stefan: Here's what I don't get. If you grew up with a non-supernatural-knowing family, how did you learn all this stuff?

Megan: After I found out about my real family I did some digging. Found a grimoire or two. Anything else I've learnt on my own.

Damon: So did you happen to find a prison-from-hell-break spell on any of the grimoires you googled?

Megan: If I did, you'd be talking to Bonnie right now. But I did found a lead on a spell you might be interested in.

Damon: You seem like a dead end. I'm starting to regret ever saving you.

Megan: And I'm starting to question why Bonnie saved you in the first place.

Stefan: Okay, Megan that's enough. We are not your enemies, remember?

Megan: You, I believe. I'm still debating on him.

(Damon does the eye thing)

***

I lived through every line and even looked around and talked to the air as if the cast were there, giving every facial expression needed for every line like the countless auditions I've been through, only this was different. I already had the part.