Part 37:What Day Is It

Hey everyone, I hope you're having a good day!
Kindly vote after reading! Happy reading<33

Author's 𝐏.𝐎.𝐕.

As Layla woke up, she saw Zayn and Shifa sleeping on the chairs beside her bed. She was pouring herself a glass of water when Zayn's phone started ringing. Thinking that it might wake them up from their sleep, she took his phone that was kept on the small table and silenced it. His phone rang again and she saw who it was- Hailey.

Confused, she picked up the call and heard, "Hey Zayn, how are you?" "Hey, I'm Layla, Zayn's best friend. He's sleeping so I answered the all in case it was something urgent. Who are you?"
Hailey on the other side was shocked listening to her voice after these many months. No one told her that Layla was out of coma. "I'll- I'll talk to him later, it's fine," Hailey said and disconnected the call, leaving Layla astonished.
She kept his phone aside and drank some water when Zayn shuffled in his sleep. "Hey, you're up?" He asked in a hoarse voice and sat upright on the chair. She nodded and said, "Yes, I couldn't sleep anymore. Why did you wake up? You can go back to sleep-" "Nah, it's alright. How are you feeling now?" He said and sighed, thinking of all the possibilities that could happen if they left Layla unattended.

"Much better, but the head ache's still there. By the way Zayn, who's Hailey?" Layla asked, catching him with surprise. "Why'd you ask?" He asked and she replied, "Oh, she called you while you were sleeping. I let it ring but then she called again. So I picked up in case it was something urgent and told her it was me. I don't know why but she just said that she'll talk to you later and hung up. Who's she?"
Not knowing how to answer Layla's question, Zayn simply shook his head and said, "No one important, just a college friend." Saying this, he woke up Shifa and brought food for them to eat as the nurse came with Layla's food and medicines.

"Zayn, what are these medicines for? I should know what's wrong with me. You're saying I was in a coma for 2 months, but how did that happen? Why do I not remember anything? And I know all of your friends but Hailey and- oh my God wait"
"What- what's today's date Zayn?" Layla asked with a serious look on her face.
Zayn didn't know how to answer her and said, "Layla, that's- that's not important, what matters is that you are out of the coma and here with us. Please just- just don't take any kind of stress on yourse-" "Zayn I asked what is today's date, answer that. Shifa, tell me what day it is," Layla demanded, and they knew that they had to tell her the truth.

Layla's P.O.V.

"Zayn, what are these medicines for? I should know what's wrong with me. You're saying I was in a coma for 2 months, but how did that happen? Why do I not remember anything? And I know all of your friends but Hailey and- oh my God wait"
I saw the date on Zayn's phone when that girl Hailey called.

"What- what's today's date Zayn?" I  asked  but Zayn didn't answer my question. Instead, he said, "Layla, that's- that's not important, what matters is that you are out of the coma and here with us. Please just- just don't take any kind of stress on yourse-" "Zayn I asked what is today's date, answer that. Shifa, tell me what day it is,"
They looked worried and Shifa got up and hurried outside whispering something in Zayn's ears. "Where is she going?" I asked Zayn but he didn't answer. What's wrong with me?
When I answered her call on Zayn's phone, it- it read 27 November 2024. That's- that's not possible right? I don't know, I- I am not sure what I read.
"Zayn, what's going on? Please don't lie to me-" Ah! My head started paining again, and this time it was worse than before.

I held my head and on noticing it, Zayn came towards me. "Layla what is it-" "Please stay back, don't come near me. Stay back!" I exclaimed and asked him to move back. He was shocked at my weird behaviour and said, "Layla? It's me, Zayn. Come on, don't do this, I'm your best friend!" "If you really were my best friend, you wouldn't lie to me! It's 2024, right? Why did you lie to me about being in a coma for 3 months when it's 16 months! Not- not only you, but- but all of you lied to me!" I exclaimed and felt something dripping down my nose.
"Lay! Please- please don't worry about it, you're bleeding- your nose- it's bleeding," He passed me a tissue and the doctor came in followed by others.

"Everybody, please wait outside. It's a request to you all. The patient cannot handle this much stress," the doctor said and my family and friends went outside.
"It's gonna be all okay. Breathe out, in, now take deep breathes as we clear the blood, okay?" He said and I followed the instructions.
I saw the cotton swabs- soaked in blood, my blood. What is happening with me, why isn't anyone saying anything!

"What's- what's wrong with me? Am I dying?" I asked the doctor while controlling my tears.
"Oh no-no, it's nothing like that. Let's just say that, you'll find out the answers to all your questions as soon as I am done, okay? Till then, just follow my instructions and don't worry about anything else."

I nodded and he cleaned the blood and gave me a medicine. "This is for controlling your headache and this one's for the bleeding," he said without me asking about it.
"Thank you," I said and the doctor smiled before leaving. Just then, my parents and friends came in, looking pretty tensed.

"Was I in a coma for a year?" I asked, looking at them straight. "Layla ple-" "Dad, answer my question. If yes, then why did you lie to me about it being only 2 months?" I asked and my mom came to my side with Zahra. "Layla, we'll tell you the truth, but promise me, not to take any kind of stress, hm?" My mom said and I nodded as she held my hand and said, "Lay, you were in a coma for 2 months, we didn't lie about it." Confusion spread across my face as she said that.

"Then why is 2024 now? It should've been October 2023. Shifa's birthday was in July then-" I stopped midway as it clicked me. No. No.
"That's not possible, right?" I said while shaking my head, not ready for the truth.

Iqra came towards me and said, "Layla, that's right, you've lost your memory."

*    *    *    *    *

Hey everyone! Thank you for reading! Wishing you a nice and lovely day ahead!<3
Make sure to vote if you liked the chapter!<33