Ch 51 - Thus, the Marathon Race Begin

3rd Person P.O.V

A vibrant burst of excitement echoes through the area, marking the commencement of the marathon race. Participants surge forward with unwavering determination, their eyes fixed on victory.

However, murmurs of frustration ripple through the participants as Hayato Hayama, the epitome of perfection, swiftly claims the lead.

Hachiman observes in silence.

Hachiman: "Pulling ahead right from the start, huh. He's fast... As expected of the perennial favorite to win. But it's all part of my calculation..."

Saika Totsuka trails behind Hachiman, poised to execute their plan at the opportune moment. Hachiman then calls out to someone behind him.

Hachiman: "Totsuka!"

Saika: "On it! Ready yourselves, everyone!"

Tennis Club Members: "Hai, Captain!"

Three tennis club members swiftly form a line, running in tandem to block any attempts at overtaking. The marathon course traverses regular sidewalks, offering a narrow path for the runners.

Their synchronized stride creates a formidable barrier, causing hesitation among those trailing behind.

But then, (Y/N) shouts loudly.

(Y/N): "Woohooo!"

With agility and finesse, (Y/N) vaults over the makeshift wall, leveraging Saika's shoulder without disrupting their balance.

Mocking Hachiman with a tongue out and a maniacal laugh, (Y/N) sets their sights on chasing down Hayama.

Hachiman: "Yes... the wall won't suffice to hinder someone with superhuman abilities like him..."

Hachiman Hikigaya never once loved crafting perfect plans because he understood that perfection often faltered in the face of unexpected circumstances. Instead, he found solace and excitement in improvisation.

For the first time, Hachiman smiled widely as he could finally play his games with (Y/N), the one he considered equal in terms of intelligence regarding understanding relationships between people.

Hachiman needed to set (Y/N) back for a moment if he wanted to focus on finding a solution to Miura's request.

All he wanted was to create a situation where he and Hayama would run together. Thus, to make this happen, Hachiman shouted out (Y/N)'s name from behind, holding a weakness that could make (Y/N) slip.

Hachiman: "(Y/N)!"

(Y/N): "What!?"

Hachiman: "There are free food samples at the stand across from us!"

(Y/N): "Nani!?"

He then stopped for a moment, looking across the street only to find nothing—no stand, no free food. Only people are walking in the street. Seizing that moment, Hachiman passed him before speaking up with a mocking tone.

Hachiman: "Sike! Cyka Blyat!"

(Y/N): "Damn you, Hachiman..."

Considering (Y/N)'s capabilities, he could have erased the distance quickly in seconds. However, he let Hachiman execute the plan alone as he couldn't bring himself to assist him, harboring a deep hatred for Hayama.

(Y/N): "I suppose I'll walk fast instead of running..."

(Y/N) then ran at a slow pace to allow Hachiman to carry out his plan without losing the third place. After all, he needed to exert more effort than usual, especially with Yukino and Yui cheering at the starting line.