2

"I do not want to go back Minako."

"What happen?" She looked up concerned into the angry face of Ebere.

"Some guy grabbed my butt. He was moving and stuff on me. I wanted to clock him."

"He was inappropriate?"

"Yes!"

"Ah," Minako bit her lip.

"Ms. Marshall,"

"Ebere please."

"Ebere-chan, we women are not really protected."

"What do you mean?"

"It is not like America."

"So am I just going to let that guy touch me?" Minako shook her head.

"You do not want to make trouble for yourself your second day of school. Please just try to go on with your day. If it happens again, go to the principal." That was not good enough. That was inexcusable. Swallowing hard, she turned and threw her shoes on.

"Try to have a good day today Ebere-chan."

"See you later Minako."

When she got to school, she eyed Uota who winked at her as she came into the classroom.

"Disgusting creep." She murmured as she sat down in her spot. What was so wrong that this had to happen to her already? She had barely stepped into the school. A part of her wanted to cry. She wanted her father. Her brothers. Somebody to come to her defense. Back home, what Uota did would have been a death wish. And what was with school on Saturday? There would be no time to even relax during the weekend. Sighing, she tried not to groan and got her materials out.

"Excuse me." She looked up to find a guy standing in front of her desk. She huffed.

"What?"

"You're in my seat."

"There are so many other seats in this classroom. Can't you find another one?"

"I prefer this one." Sucking her teeth, she got up and sat in front of him.

"Thank you."

"Whatever." More students started to file in and soon, the teacher came in. Here we go... day two.

****

Seeing her first thing in the morning was a unexpected surprise. At the sight of her, he thought about yesterday. The thought infuriated him. Was she not a human? Unlike the rest of the world, he hadn't been so susceptible to stereotypical influences. He looked at this girl and saw a confused, struggling person. He looked up at her.

She was so worked up that she didn't notice that he had spoken to her in English. Perhaps she didn't care. Either way, she was interesting. She was like the black sheep in the mix. And... so was he. Or at least... he was trying to be. He looked up at the back of her head and wondered if her big curly hair was just as soft as it looked.

"Good morning." The teacher greeted as he set his materials down. They all stood up and bowed.

"Good morning."

"Be seated. Today we are going to learn about algorithms." He heard the crack of a pencil and saw a small brown hand clutching one. She had broke her pencil.

"Marshall, please come and demonstrate how we define algorithm." Quiet.

"Marshall!"