24

It was cold, tendrils of blowing drifting snow whispering across the ground. But the cold outside was nothing compared to the coldness in his heart. Just like that, it seemed as if he had gone back to square one. He had tried to move on the best he could but there were moments when he missed her and he was weak with the emotion. It had been almost three months. Slowly, he had adjusted. But it made his life so much emptier. It had grown easier to look past her. It had become simpler to walk past her and not say a word. Everyone was confused at first. Asking him what happened. Asking her what happened. But eventually, they stopped asking questions. On his side, Tobu had figured it out and for the time being was still upset at him for actually agreeing to go through with it. He called him a fool. Perhaps he was a fool.

He felt the cold chill his cheeks and the warm hand that he held did nothing for him. She was nothing but a substitute. A replacement.

"Hiroto-kun!" Her high pitched voice made his eyebrow twitch but he supposed it came with the territory. In a world of cute, childish behavior and appearance, she fit right in. She was not an anomaly. Rather, she fit in with all the other thousand versions of other girls who tried to look just like her.

"What is it?"

"Are you okay?" He wasn't. But the moment had to pass.

"I will be."

"What's bothering you?"

"Nothing."

"Tell me."

"It's fine. Don't worry yourself." Despite how he felt, he could not find it within himself to be cruel or mean hearted towards her. In actuality, in the three months they had been together, he had become slightly ever so fond of her. She was kind and generous. Annoying when she wanted to be. Though he did not love her, he put up with her. She didn't go after his money and got in good with his parents. Of course, any girl that was Japanese and even remotely rich got in good with his parents.

"Maco-chan," She looked up at him with circle lensed eyes.

"Are you cold?" She smiled softly and squeezed his hand.

"I am but I'll be fine."

"You should wear a scarf." She nuzzled against him.

"You keep me plenty warm Hiro-chan." He swallowed tightly and continued to walk up the hill. It was still dark in the morning, the street lights blaring bright, lighting their way.

"Iwase." A voice called out to him and he stopped, turning around. One of Rae's friends...Momo was it? She slowly walked up and greeted Maco before looking at him.

"How have you been?"

"Fine." His voice was flat. Momo looked intensely at him, reading right through his comment.

"I wish it was that simple to let go of someone I really cared about." Maco eyed them, confusion on her face.

"Hm?" Momo smiled at her.

"Nothing Maco-chan. Iwase knows what I'm talking about."

"Thank you for asking Tanaka." She nodded and sighed.