9

He pulled in to his parent's driveway. So many cars had been parked along the street already. Glancing over at her, he smiled.

"How do you feel?" She took a slow breath.

"I feel ready to do this." He reached over and gripped her hand.

"Let's go." They got out of the car. She gripped his hand tighter and let him lead her to the door.

"Come in." He opened the door and pulled her inside. She let his hand go and slid off her shoes. The bunny slippers she liked weren't there. Hm. Finding some others, she slid into those and looked up to find him smiling at her.

"What?"

"Nothing. Just one thing..." He reached over and moved a curl out of her eyes, letting his fingers linger on her cheek a bit.

"Done." She took a shaky breath and smiled weakly. He turned and she followed him.

"Hiroto! I didn't think you would come this year."

"Why would I not?" All conversation stopped as she entered the room. She smiled at all the eyes and bowed low.

"Hello." They looked at him.

"Hiroto, you brought her here?"

"Why is she here?"

"Who is she?" He was prepared for all the questions.

"She's a friend of mine. I invited her to join us this year." A pair of eyes looked displeasingly upon her and he knew just who. He felt someone pull him back and arms slid around his waist.

"Hiroto, I've missed you." He wanted to break her fingers but focused his expression to a cool neutral.

"Emi."

"Why did you bring that girl here. This isn't a ghetto get together. She's not even Japanese." He gripped her hand and tightly removed it from his person.

"Rae, let me introduce you to my parents." She had started looking nervous again and all the eyes on her he didn't blame her. She gently took his pinky into hers and followed him to her parents. He swallowed and hoped that they would be respectful, at least in front of all his relatives. She sat down on her lower legs and bowed before them. Graceful just like a swan. Her hands were so small and her slender arms and wrists were so feminine to him. He was sure any Japanese male would find it so.

"Hello. It's nice to meet you."

"We've met before. If I recall correctly, the last time you were here, my son had his head all the way up your skirt." He sharply looked at his mother, whose tongue had no hold. She looked at her as if she were the most filthiest thing on the planet.

"Don't disrespect her because of a choice I made."

"Hiroto, you have crossed lines now. Why have you brought her? Why not even tell us she was coming?" He sighed, fighting the strong urge to roll his eyes.

"Why should I announce when I bring friends to Hanami? I've never had to before when they were Japanese. Why is it different with Ebere?"

"She wore those shorts on purpose. Look how they go up her thighs."

"Mother, you're going to get wrinkles. Stop it." She stopped frowning so deeply. Through all of this, his father had just remained quiet, watching her.