8

He sat outside his parents home. It seemed like not too long ago he was here, imprisoned. He hadn't talked to his parents since he moved out. They were livid and were giving him the silent treatment. He didn't care. He wondered if he should tell them Rae was coming with them. Or surprise them. He got out the car and walked up to the front door. Opening the door, he looked into the face of his father. His face grew shocked.

"Hiroto..."

"Are you going to invite me in?" He stepped aside.

"Come in." He stepped into the house and slid off his shoes.

"I don't plan staying long." He said as he put on some house slippers.

"It's fine. It's been a while since you've been here. Are you hungry? Thirsty?"

"No." He nodded and led him into the sitting area.

"Is Mother here?"

"No. She is with some friends tonight." Perfect.

"Father," He looked up at him.

"I want you to know something." He leaned forward, hands on the low table.

"You're at great risk of losing me. Do you understand that? Your only son. I will walk out of your life forever and not once look back." His father paled.

"Hiroto, I don't want that to happen." He resisted rolling his eyes but kept his expression calm and cool.

"I wondered if you even cared that night. I wanted to die Father. You made me want to die." His father looked away, his jaw tight.

"How could you doubt that I cared? What could I have done?" It seemed laughable that here he was trying to act as if he didn't know. Well, he would explain in depth so that he never forgot again.

"Ever since I was little, all I heard was how great of a family we were. I used to be proud to call myself Iwase. Such prestige, such notoriety, such envy. I did anything I could to please you. You were my model. I wanted to be just like you." His father was quiet as he continued,

"I remember when we lived in Kyoto. Cut off from the outside world. How simple life was back then. I felt in touch with who I was and who you wanted me to be. I remember being given away to the old in hopes of being made a man. It does not seem that it means much now. Nevertheless, you had me trained just as the ancestors before me were. How could I not be? I was Iwase. It was how it should be. As you were and your father before you and his before him. It seemed you groomed me into the perfect son."

"You have made our family proud, learning the ways of the sword." His father smiled softly.

"Indeed. You would have made a fine Lord. Or samurai. Your skill surpasses even mine when I was your age. Bushido is strong within you." Hiroto watched him.

"Even so, you have ruined me." The words stopped his father cold.

"You have taken my life and crushed it. Not once have I come against you. Not once have I ever spoken up. Today, that silence ends." He stared at his father, making sure he held his attention.

"I have questions. I want answers. Don't think of lying to me. Understand Father that this may be the last time you ever see me. Make use of this time wisely." His father swallowed thickly, his hands pressed together so tight his skin turned white.