23

"We should end this."

"What are we ending?"

"Everything. I am not gonna let you get hurt because you want to stay with me."

"If you are concerned about that, don't be."

"Hiroto... this is for you. I'm only thinking about you."

"If you really were, you wouldn't be saying this."

"You don't understand. You'll thank me later. It's... it's over. From now on... it's safer for us to not know each other. Don't speak to me. Don't look at me. Maybe we can meet elsewhere. But in school, we can't have any association with each other. This is the way it has to be."

".....if that is what you think is best."

***

The events leading up to that point were still hard to think about. It was odd to think that he wouldn't be sitting with her at lunch or talking to her in the hallway. Tears came to her eyes. It had to be this way. Regardless of how much it hurt. Looking back on it, there wasn't any other way.

***

School started off normally that day. As usual, Hiroto was waiting for her at the bottom of the hill. Tobu next to him. Aiko and the girls just a ways behind her. She smiled and greeted them.

"Good morning everybody!" When Aiko and everyone else caught up to them, they hugged her.

"Good mornin! You look rested!"

"Thank you." She eyed Tobu out of the corner of her eye, who was blushing. His eyes followed Aiko, who wasn't payin him any attention. She grinned. Oh she'd definitely have to get deets later on that one. Aiko would be cute with Bu.

"Let's all walk up." Hiroto spoke as he started up the hill. She hiked further to get to him, leaving the others behind.

"Here you go with your long ass legs." She huffed as she finally caught up to him. He chuckled.

"I cannot help that you are such a small fry."

"Small fry? Wait a minute..." He laughed and gently ruffled her hair.

"I only joke."

"It wasn't funny you jerk." She said playfully, poking out her lip. He grinned and gently poked her lip with his finger.

"Pouting only makes you look cuter." She playfully sucked her teeth and sucked her lip back in.

"Look here..."

"You ready for the day? It is the last month of August."

"I can't believe it. It seems like we just got here."

"Mm."

"Do we really have to wear these skirts all the way through winter? I be cold."

"Lots of girls wear leg warmers to keep their legs warm."

"Oh those cute things the girls have on in the animes?"

"Someone is becoming acclimated to my culture."

"Well, I ain't got much choice."

"Yes. They work really well I hear."

"I'll have to get me some."

"Indeed." They bowed to the principal as they entered the school. The girls hugged each other and they went to class. The school year had gone well so far and with it being September tomorrow, she was excited. The leaves had started to change and the reds, greens, yellows, and browns made her sigh. Autumn was one of the best seasons despite the colder weather. She put up with the brisk chill but the oncoming winter was not her favorite. She had to make sure she kept as warm as possible with her legs being forced to be out. This was going to be her first Japanese winter. She was excited to spend it with the people she had come to know and love.