10

The sunlight shined brightly on her face and she squinted, turning her face into the small pillow. She heard the chirp of the birds singing sweetly outside and smiled to herself. Their song was musically consuming. She wondered what it was they sung about this early in the morning. Sighing, she opened her eyes. They ran over her form, the blanket and her wrist lazily outstretched on the futon. She looked down at her body and decided that she liked the way yukata looked on her. It felt comfortable and even in the heat, she didn't feel too hot. Yet. Summer was just starting, spring but a minute away.

She slowly got up and looked around. All of the other women were gone, their futons, blankets and pillows neatly folded. Hana was gone too. She got up and yawned. She tried to fold her things up like they had and laid it all near her corner so that the tatami was clear. She got her toiletry bag and opened the shoji to peek out into the hallway. It was quiet. She wondered if everyone was still sleep. It was still early. She stepped out into the hall and wondered down a bit. Where was the bathroom? Passing a room, she found Hana kissing her daughter.

"H-Hana..." She turned to look at her and soon came to her.

"Good morning."

"Good morning." She spot her daughter in a small tub of water, her little hands splashing the water and soapy bubbles.

"You can come. Brush.Wash." She smiled at her and came into the bathroom.

"Hello little Hisae." She greeted the baby girl as she started to get ready. Hisae giggled and cooed. She felt her heart melt.

"She like you Ebere-chan. Hisae does not smile." She blushed.

"She just met me."

"She knows good spirit. You have." She smiled and once she was done washing her face and everything, she turned.

"You bathe now. Big tub there. Hot water you pour. When done, I get yukata for daytime." She slowly filled the tub with hot water and got some cool water to cool it down some before she stepped in. She sighed as the tension left her muscles. Leaning her head back against the wooden perimeter, she smiled. She thought she knew what peace was until she got here. It was so quiet. Simplicity in its purest form. She wanted a life like this. She gently scrubbed her body and when she felt clean, she lifted the bucket to wash the soap off. Grabbing a towel, she stepped out and dried herself. Coming into the room, she found Hana lifting a yukata from off of a rack outside.

"Hana, why is it outside?" She smiled and closed the large door before enclosing them in privacy.

"Yukata has to air."

"Why?" She shook her head.

"Just has to." She took in the colors and fell in love. She loved how bright and cheery it was. A pale canary yellow with flower patterns a light purple and pink intricately woven into the fabric blew her away.

"It's so pretty." She marveled, reaching out to touch the sleeve.

"It look pretty for you." She made sure she was dry.

"This juban." Hana spoke softly as she slid the thin under layer on first.

"This is very thin."

"Yes. Good for marriage." Hana winked at her and she flushed. She had no doubt about that. It clung to every curve she had and outlined everything. Hana then slid the slightly thicker yukata on and grabbed the obi and secured it shut. She made a pretty bow pattern with the remaining fabric and fluffed it out a bit. She caught herself in the mirror. She couldn't believe that that was her. She looked so beautiful, the obi in the back making it look like a butterfly had come from her.