21

The time had shifted. It was moving so quickly. Acceleration. She had to be ready to move with it. In just shy of a week it would be August. All of the students would return to school August 10th. That did not leave her much break. But she had made it this whole summer and for that she was proud. Heading into her locker area, she unbuttoned her shirt and flapped the material around trying to cool herself off. It always felt like the school did not have any air when she knew it did. Lord. Smoothing some hair back from her face, she sighed. After this, she was supposed to go out with Aiko and her friends, friends she would be meeting for the first time. She was excited but nervous too. What if they were not as gracious as Aiko?

"My my... such a pity." She leaned down to take off her shoes. The light chatter from the other end of the locker room was but a slight buzz in her ear.

"I cannot believe it."

"It is quite sad."

"Very much so." She lifted up to smooth her skirts when she felt a tap on her shoulder. Turning around, she grew stiff.

"Hi." She felt cold but yet her mouth moved.

"Hi." Eyes looked over her appearance.

"This is how you look hm? Not quite so glamorous."

"The same can't be said of you." That damned glossy hair. The freshly manicured nails. The dark gloss.

"Why are you here?" It was crazy to even process this. Here was a girl who hated her standing in front of her in a uniform much like her own.

"You don't know?" She stiffened her lips.

"Can't even guess."

"Well, I wanted to see you. That's all."

"So you pretend to be a student here?"

"No pretending going on. I did attend this school. I was worthy of this place."

"And I'm not?"

"That's besides the point." She leaned back against her locker, arms crossed.

"What do you want? Why are you wasting my time?" Lips smiled.

"I just wanted to see you." She rolled her eyes and turned to grab her things. She had no time for her. Not today. It was bad enough that she had actually tried to creep in here but now she was talking to her like nothing was wrong. Like nothing had ever happened between them.

"I do not have time for your foolishness today. I gotta go. It's been a long day." She moved out of her way without much fight and followed her down the hallway.

"Meeting someone are you? That why you in such a rush?" Her hand tightened on her bag.

"That ain't none of your business."

"I believe it is." She felt a hand grip her bag and stop her.

"I came to be nice. So nice I'll be. I'll give you this one warning. The last time you didn't seem to get it. But the next time you do not listen to me, something even worse will happen to you Marshall." Icy tendrils of fear slid up her spine.

"Don't threaten me."

"Listen well. If you do not cut ties, I will cut them for you. You think you can escape me. But I am everywhere and I can always find you. Remember that." She was shoved and despite the anger she felt, tears welled up in her eyes. She dared not look back and hurried into the awaiting car.