17 | Sabotage

Hinata kicked down the door to the room that had the hockey teams supplies in it. The girls and Souda stood behind him.

The pink-haired boy placed his tool kit on the ground.

Komaeda was out with his father at the moment. Hinata had told him to take photos, but didn't tell him why. In truth, it was so he had an alibi in case someone wanted to investigate who got revenge on the hockey players.

-

"Aaaand, here's your surprise!" Mr. Komaeda said, uncovering his son's eyes.

"What??" Komaeda gasped, eyes wide. "A-an ice rink... in our garden?!"

"Yes. All for you. No one can watch or judge you here, angel,"

"I... I don't even know what to say... Thank you, dad!" He hugged him. "You're the best!"

"Anything for my sweet little angel,"

Mr. Komaeda had always made an effort to assure his son wouldn't take mistreatment from any boyfriend he might have. He wanted to make sure his son knew he was priceless and deserved to be treated that way. It had worked for a while. Shikichi was a good boyfriend and Komaeda didn't put up with any bad behavior from him. But now he was afraid these hockey players would destroy all the progress he made. Komaeda felt worthless and ugly.

He knew his son wasn't extremely naive or anything like that, but he did get attached easily. He was afraid that, if any boy showed him kindness, he would ignore it if that boy suddenly started treating him badly.

But... Komaeda was 18. He could make his own decisions, right? He didn't want to be too controlling, but he knew he could never forgive himself if something happened to his sweet angel.

-

"Hinata-kun, why do you want me to watch them? You know I don't like the hockey players..." Komaeda complained as he was dragged into the stadium.

"Just sit down and watch, okay?"

"Fine..."

Mr. Komaeda had been brought there by Souda. Hinata had never seen him look so upset. "You want me to sit down and watch the people who ruined my son's life play their stupid little game?!" He asked.

"No, dude, just watch," Souda said.

"That's Komaeda-san to you." He crossed his arms and sat down next to his son.

The hockey match began. All the feelings from his performance came flooding back to Komaeda. He felt his eyes begin to water.

Then, suddenly, a hockey player fell and landed on the ice. The blades had fallen off the ice skates. Then another one fell. And another one. After that, a bat fell apart.

Komaeda stared with wide eyes. "What's going on?" He whispered.

Soon enough, all of them were on the ground. The stadium was quiet.

...

...

"Boooooh!!" Mioda shouted. "You guys really suck!!"

"Right! Booooh!" Nanami agreed.

Komaeda's mouth hung open as the whole stadium began to boo them.

The crowd soon left. Hinata, Souda and the Komaedas went into a dorm room. Komaeda was quiet as he followed them. When they arrived in the dorm, he spoke up.

"Did you sabotage their equipment?"

Hinata shrugged. "A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do,"

"But that's illegal!"

"Who's gonna find out? Besides, we all wore gloves when we did it. There's no proof it was me,"

"I'm sure the police can find out!"

"I don't care. I did it for you and I'll do it again if I have to. You're an amazing skater, Komaeda. I love watching you skate and if there's someone who wants to discourage you from doing what you love, I'm gonna do everything in my power to make them regret it. I'm not gonna let someone hurt you and get away with it,"

Komaeda shut his mouth at that. He looked off to the side. Hinata couldn't quite read the expression on his face.

"...thank you. Really," he smiled softly. "You really are too kind to me, Hinata-kun,"

"I'm just doing what I feel is right,"

Mr. Komaeda pat Hinata's shoulder. "I like you. You're a good guy. Take good care of Nagito while you're here and I'm home, will you?"

"Dad, I'm not a little kid! I can take care of myself,"

"I know, I know. But I just get so worried about you all the time." He kissed him on the head. "I'll go home now. Call me if you need anything. I love you,"

"I love you too, dad,"