19 | Staying Home

"I have good and bad news," The doctor said.

"Noooo!! No bad news, please!" Mr. Komaeda begged.

"Uhm... The good news is he is alright and his condition should only get better unless his head gets hurt again," She said. "The bad news is that, while concussions are only a mild brain injury, his one is quite severe. This doesn't mean it's going to have long-lasting effects, his brain is not permanently hurt. It's going to heal, but he might have some headaches, ringing in the ears, nausea, vomiting, fatigue or drowsiness, blurry vision, confusion, amnesia surrounding the event, dizziness, temporary loss of consciousness, slurred speech, delayed response to questions, dazed appearance, forgetfulness, such as asking the same question over and over, trouble with concentration and memory, irritability and other personality changes, sensitivity to light and noise, trouble with sleep, feeling emotional or depressed and changes in taste and smell,"

"That's so much!" Hinata said. "All 'cause someone banged his head?"

"How do you know that?"

"I don't know. I'm just assuming. Do you think he'll be able to remember what happened soon?"

"I know what happened!" Komaeda said.

"You do? What happened?"

"What?"

"What happened? To your head?"

Komaeda shrugged. "I dunno,"

Mr. Komaeda got up. "I'll take him home. I don't want him trying to do sports in school or something,"

Hinata nodded. "Alright..."

"I'll call you everyday, Hinata-kun," Komaeda promised.

"Thanks, man. Get well soon, okay?" He asked, patting his head.

"I'll do my best!"

-

When he was allowed to go home, his father carried him to the car, despite Komaeda still being able to walk. He was a bit dizzy, confused and forgetful, but that was all.

Whenever Komaeda was sick, his father made sure to take great care of him. He made him the best food, brought him anything he needed, let him watch movies all day and made sure he was getting better quickly.

The next day, Komaeda called Hinata. The brunet was glad he hadn't forgotten.

"Hi, Hinata-kun!"

"Hey. How are you feeling?"

"I feel a bit better. What about you?"

"I'm just fine," Hinata chuckled.

"How are you feeling?" Komaeda asked again.

"I'm alright,"

"How are you?"

"I'm okay,"

"Dad made me soup. Wanna see?"

"Sure,"

Komaeda quickly got up and ran over to his desk where the soup was. He began feeling dizzy and fell over.

"Huh?? Are you okay??"

"I'm fine! Just go up too fast." He stood up again and sat down at his desk, leaning his phone against the wall so Hinata could see him.

"Here. This is the best soup ever!" He began to eat it. "Ow! It's hot!"

"You okay?"

Komaeda nodded, painfully swallowing it.

"Did you remember what happened to you yet?"

"Hmm..." Komaeda thought about it. "I was walking... in the hallway, I think... and then something happened,"

"What?"

"I don't know,"

"Try to remember and tell me when you do, okay? I bet it was one of the hockey guys!"

"Ah!" Komaeda said.

"What was that? You just 'ah'd! What was that about??"

"Uhm... the hockey guys... hmmm..."

"What??" Hinata asked.

"Let me think!" Komaeda hissed.

Hinata furrowed his eyebrows. "Sorry, damn. Don't get all pissy,"

"I-I'm sorry! I don't know what got into me!"

"It's fine. Just think,"

Komaeda continued to eat his soup, trying hard to concentrate. For a few minutes, it was quiet except for the sound of the spoon dipping into the soup. Then, Komaeda sighed. "I just can't remember... I'm sorry,"

"It's okay. Just focus on getting better instead, alright? And I'm here if you need someone to talk to,"

"Thank you, Hinata-kun,"

"Huh, someone knocked on my door. Give me a second,"

Komaeda nodded. "Alright, bye!" He hung up. His head had began to hurt and he really wanted to go lay down.