22 | Attention

The next day, the people around Hinata were acting weird again. A guy walked past him, slapped the back of his head and shot him a glare.

"My girlfriend broke up with me because of you,"

"Huh?? I don't know you,"

"She said that as long as there's guys like you out there, she doesn't want to be dating someone like me!"

"How does she even know what kinda guy I am??"

The other boy didn't respond and just walked off. A while later, a bunch of other guys walked past him.

"Hey, Hinata!" One of them said, laughing. "All the chicks are thirsting over you right now!"

"What??"

They walked off too. Confused, he made his way to his dorm and raised an eyebrow when he saw Shikichi sitting on the bed, talking to Souda. The dark-haired boy smiled when he saw Hinata.

"Hey, Hinata-kun!"

"Uh, hey,"

"Sorry if me being here bothers you. I just wanted to hang out with you again. If that's fine with you, of course,"

"Sure." Hinata nodded. "Everyone's been so weird to me lately, so just hanging out with a fried sounds great right now,"

Shikichi looked down at the ground, blushing. "W-we're friends?"

Hinata chuckled. "Of course we are. Did you act this way around Komaeda too?"

"No! It's just... different with you..."

"How so?"

"Komaeda-kun and you are different. I really didn't think that, even with someone like you, I'd still... uhm... but you proved me wrong,"

"What are you talking about?"

"Nothing..."

Souda looked at Shikichi and then at Hinata. He knew what was going on. Unfortunately, Hinata was incredibly dense.

"You don't have a girlfriend, do you? I mean, I bet lots of girls really like you,"

"They do and I don't know why,"

Shikichi got up. "You shouldn't think so low of yourself. I mean, you're a good-looking guy. You're athletic. And you're really kind. You take care of the people you care about. Girls love that and I can't blame them." He walked towards him.

Had this been said to him a year ago, he would have bragged about it to everyone. Being popular and a ladies man was always his dream. Now that he had achieved it, it was lame.

Why did they like him? He didn't even like any of them back. And now Shikichi was acting weird too.

Suddenly, his phone rang. It was Komaeda.

"Give me a minute," he told Shikichi before picking up. "What's up?"

"H-Hinata-kun!" He cried. "Th-this is horrible!"

"What is??"

"Th-they showed my performance on- on TV a few days ago! I-I think I'm gonna puke..."

"Huh?? Take deep breaths! It's fine, no one would laugh at you over that! The hockey guys are the ones who messed up!"

"I-is your revenge on them being investigated?"

"No. Not yet, at least. They don't have the balls to ask the cops for help, probably. Not after sabotaging your performance anyway,"

"B-but now even more people saw it! Why would they put me on TV like that? I-I was hoping they'd just throw the footage away..."

"It's all gonna be fine, man. No need to worry about things like that. Everyone with half a brain would realize your performance was amazing. I mean, you said yourself you're popular with boys, right? So you know not everyone hates you or something,"

"B-but that was a lie!" He cried. "Those letters- those 'love' letters were all rejection letters from ice skating teachers and sports academies!" He admitted. "I put hearts on them because they made me feel so ashamed! I'm sorry for lying..."

"Oh... damn. I totally bought it. You seem like the type who had guys falling for him left and right,"

"I-I do?"

"Yeah, like all you have to do is twirl you hair and smile and they'll get you whatever you want. You've got that cute kinda charm, you know?"

Souda made a gagging motion. "That was so corny!"

"And you're really pretty. When you're skating, you look so elegant and graceful and you always wear those nice dresses," Hinata told Komaeda. "I really like that,"

"Really?"

"Really,"

"...thank you, Hinata-kun. I appreciate it." He sniffled.

"I'm just stating the truth,"

"I'll stop bothering you now then. See you soon,"

"Yeah, I can't wait for you to come back,"

After that, Komaeda hung up. Shikichi frowned. Hinata was obviously starting to like him, so he would have to try harder to win him over now.